first time

chesters1

does anyone have recolections of their "first time"

the picture is of me and my old man fishing in the royal military cannal when i was seven in 1960 i have one of the holiday the year before just watching so doesnt count (it took a year for my old man to accumalate enough tackle for me)and i had also to wait for the holiday to use it ,by the age of ten i was self reliant in choosing venues and times ,those were the days . :)

first.jpg

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

First time i was about 15 and she was about.... opps wrong time.

First time fishing well real fishing with rod and line was when i was about 13 i think. I used to go down the local brook here and get some very nice fish out. I have very found memories of fishing back then. Bunking off school most of the time to go fishing. Rods straped to my bike as you do, meeting up with the others on the way. Went fishing down there not so long ago and god how things have changed. So much differant to how i remember it back then. But the fish are still there took Ferret think he was very surpriced on the size of the Chub. :D

we lived in folkestone later in life (for some reason my old man used to holiday there then we moved there) i took days (or was it weeks) to constuct a trailer for my push bike so i could take enough for a weekend ,i loaded it up and took off as i took a right angle out of the drive the thing detached itself and headed of by itself towards a very steep hill ,only the vigour of youth enabled me to catch it i tied it securely back on but it stopped me turning corners properly so my progress was very eratic. the climb back uphill on sunday night persuaded me to start saving for a bike with gears :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My first time fishing, oh yes I remember it well. It was way back in the fifty's I must have been about six. My Dad took me and my brother for a walk along the bank's of the Severn the previous evening, when he pre baited his chosen spot with hemp. I was filled with excitement the following morning, having got up early to go a-fishing with Dad. He had a cane rod of course, nothing else about then, a big centre pin reel, it looked the job. I was amazed at how deft he was at pulling out the roach, every pass through the swim, dink went the porcupine quill float and out came another one. Then came that magic moment " Here" he said and handed me, this little kid, his prized rod. Oh yes he laughed when I missed bite after bite, I got the hang of it after a while how proud and grown up I felt when I landed my first fish caught the man's way ,the proper way. After that it was not only the fish that had gotten hooked. I remember every time I'm out there on the waters edge. Oh yes I remember, thank's Dad. We'll maybe go fishing again one day.

My first time was when I was maybe 6or7 years old, with my dad at a small pond in a farmers field in Runcorn. My dad has never been the great angler he believes he is and is just happy to catch sticklebacks all day. This was one of those days, we must have caught about 5000 of them on maggot...as we were walking back to the car I had kept one of them in my hand :) I wanted to take it home with me, my dad saw i was being shifty and looked in my hand and there was this dead stickleback stuck to my hand :) He made me throw it in a stream and I cried all the way home. I have progressed thru small roach, bigger roach, big roach, perch then cruies, tench etc to now where I am just happy with what I get.

CHeers

Mike

Oh you never forget the first time.

1970..ish.

Wakefield sand quarrie Better known as the sandole then.

Clear water and a shoal of perch saw me and my brother selling our air rifles to buy fishing tackle.

Two days later we were back and cought loads of these superb looking fish that fought like hell.

We were then hooked for life as most anglers are.

The Sandhole is now known as millfield lagoons and was landscaped in the 80s and ended up flat and boring.

Not fished it for years but the memories have just made me decide to revisit it for old times sake.

I think I caught the fishing bug when I was about 7-8 years old.My family used to spend the Glasgow fair in Anstruther,Fife.My brother bought a Shakespeare starter rod which I still have and use.I also remember an 8Lb Monkfish being caught on the rod too.Monkfish was regarded a a dirty bottom feeder at the time and was thrown back.How things change.Now I am a chef and Monkfish costs just as much as Lobster.Maybe Gudgeon will become a delicacy in time to come.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I was 3½ (honest!) My dad would cast out and hand the rod to me to reel in when the float went under - landed 7 roach. But the real adventure of being awoken in the middle of the night - being collected in the first light of a summers morning and driving to some secluded lough (we lived in Belfast at the time) - was HUGHLY exciting.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog