Any advice on this particular bite alarm?

davedave

I have been looking at cheap bite alarms (Under a tenner) when i came across this. I thought Dragon was a very respectable make of tackle and alarms so was surprised to see this alarm for 7 quid, brand new!

Is it too good to be true or is this a reliable alarm at a good price??

Has anybody got this alarm and got any info on it??

thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/dragon-carp-bite-ala...ac#ht_500wt_764

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I have been looking at cheap bite alarms (Under a tenner) when i came across this. I thought Dragon was a very respectable make of tackle and alarms so was surprised to see this alarm for 7 quid, brand new!

thanks

I am not sure on that particular bite alarm. But I did myself purchase a set of 3 alarms from E-Bay for £9.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SET-3-BITE-ALARMS-CA...=item1e5eca0a40

They are good alarms however one time I went out and it was bouncing down with rain. The alarms functioned perfectly in the rain but the following day they were a little funny and occasionally played up....

So if you tend to go out in better conditions, the alarms are great. But as we all know the weather can change in an instant.... so bear that in mind with the cheaper options.

I will add though, I normally only use 1, sometimes 2 alarms at one time.... So I do always have 1-2 there as spares.

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

thanks

Suck it and see mate.

I purchased 2 Microns for around £20 delivered (E-bay) and they have'nt let me down yet.

Why anyone would spend 20 times that amount is way beyond my comprehension, but each to their own.

If you get a run and the alarm sounds, then job done!

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

The year is 2010 and for a fiver you get a loaf of bread and a pint of beer

The alarm you're looking at is £7, you're not going to get much for £7 so bear that in mind, use it and when it breaks chuck it away, thats what they're designed for, so long as you remember that then it'll represent very good value for the money

If you get three seasons out of it then it'll have served you well for not much money at all

thanks, yeh if it lasts for a couple of years its still money well spent, when you put it in perspective the alarm is 7 quid but a ticket to fish is 6!!! thanks again for the info

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Its nearly worth throwing it away when the batteries go flat. I have always wondered what some of the '24.99 for 3 rods' are like. Ive been tempted just for a laugh ,(might be nice on the beach if its calm). I would personally look for a branded secong hand item. but lets face it, what the worse that can happen with a 7 quid alarm, you're not exaclty gonna cry if it doesn't live up to expectations because there arn't any.

I find this alarm business a bit puzzling. I can go in to a toy shop and get a really complicated plastic toy which contains some quite serious electronics for about a Tenner. So why does a simple gadget like a bite alarm need to cost so much?

About 3 years ago, I bought a set of 4 alarms and remote for £40 from Lidles. I gave them away to a young lad, and 3 of them are still working ok, the on/off on the other one packed up.

So I would say, that £10 is about right for an alarm :) but then the shop won't make enough profit to stay in business, so where would we buy our maggots?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I find this alarm business a bit puzzling. I can go in to a toy shop and get a really complicated plastic toy which contains some quite serious electronics for about a Tenner. So why does a simple gadget like a bite alarm need to cost so much?

About 3 years ago, I bought a set of 4 alarms and remote for £40 from Lidles. I gave them away to a young lad, and 3 of them are still working ok, the on/off on the other one packed up.

So I would say, that £10 is about right for an alarm :) but then the shop won't make enough profit to stay in business, so where would we buy our maggots?

Den

I agree bite alarm prices are set to reflect the constant need to be one step ahead of everyone else, its very much like car models and facelifts on cars. The basic electronics are going to be the same throughout the only differences will be whether or not another circuit has been added i.e sensitivity as well as volume and tone and the size of the alarm.

Surface mounted components can make things very small or at least thin which will add some cost due to the set up of the production equipment and the programming but all in all electronic components cost pennies and even less when bought in bulk. Essentially what you pay for with named brands is the development costs but if i was cynical i could say if i bought a 5 quid alarm and put a brand name on it people would pay more. Saying that i am as prone to anyone of looking at two alarms and assuming a branded one will be better than something from aldi, i guess it just shows the advertising (read propaganda) works