Baits

bez10

Hello im a all round fisherman and was wondering if anybody knows any good baits for carp in the winter??? and what setups to use???

Pop up baits and spicy baits work well in winter. Small chunks of luncheon meat gently fried in curry powder to toughen it up and release oils is also supposed to be effective, saying that though ive never tried it!! Good luck :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I think it depends a lot on the fishery. Proper Carp will slow down but on a well stocked commercial will still feed. F1 hybrids tend to feed throughout the cold weather and I would imagine the usual baits will work but as they're not so keen, cut down on the feed. Feed to the bites is the best approach.

They will probably head for deeper water and disappear from the margins.

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Some favourite for the past few weeks (In the colder weather) have been:

Spicy sweetcorn (Doubled on hair rig)

Strawberry Sweetcorn (Also doubled on hair rig)

Peach & Maplecream Boilies (Cut into a cube shape)

Luncheon Meat (Smaller Squares)

The corn is what I have had the most success on, but I have used that much more than other baits.

The area I have used these is a well stocked commercial.

I agree with Jason also, nearly all the Carp on the commercial have been caught in the deeper area's of the lakes. So bear that in mind when casting.

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Some favourite for the past few weeks (In the colder weather) have been:

Spicy sweetcorn (Doubled on hair rig)

Strawberry Sweetcorn (Also doubled on hair rig)

Peach & Maplecream Boilies (Cut into a cube shape)

Luncheon Meat (Smaller Squares)

The corn is what I have had the most success on, but I have used that much more than other baits.

The area I have used these is a well stocked commercial.

I agree with Jason also, nearly all the Carp on the commercial have been caught in the deeper area's of the lakes. So bear that in mind when casting.

thanks for the tips.. just one more what would u suggest would be the best rigs to use float??or ledger???

Simple free running ledger. (shown under ledger rigs on the tab to the left)

Because it is simple, safe and most carp will be feeding on the bottom at this time of year anyway. I use this rig for carp all year round unless when i free-line bread in summer.

I have recently started using hair rigs as well, they definitely increased my catch rate so if your not already i would recommend either buying or making your own because they are effective!

Hope this helps

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Simple free running ledger. (shown under ledger rigs on the tab to the left)

Because it is simple, safe and most carp will be feeding on the bottom at this time of year anyway. I use this rig for carp all year round unless when i free-line bread in summer.

I have recently started using hair rigs as well, they definitely increased my catch rate so if your not already i would recommend either buying or making your own because they are effective!

Hope this helps

is that with all baits that u use with the running ledger rig?

also could u use a hair rig with the running ledger rig???

is that with all baits that u use with the running ledger rig?

also could u use a hair rig with the running ledger rig???

Yes all ledgering i do is with the running ledger. Its safe, effective and really really simple. Can be as simple as a shot and a weight or you can jazz it up a bit with hooklengths, swivels, beads etc. This gives better presentation, especially in winter. My rig is normally 8lb mainline, put on it a weight and a bead then tie it to a swivel, with the 5lb hooklength the other part of the swivel. Do you get that, sounds confusing but its really not. Like i said almost identical to the one in the ledger section.

And i think hair rigs were originally designed to be used with bolt rigs, but work just as well with free running rigs. With more people concerned for fish welfare and using free running rigs it is very common to use hair rigs with free running rigs.

Sorry im not really an expert on hair rigs, my attempts to make my own werent brilliant and instead of putting the fish at risk i bought some. Only £1.80 for 8 hair rigs to hooklengths.

Hope this helps

Yes all ledgering i do is with the running ledger. Its safe, effective and really really simple. Can be as simple as a shot and a weight or you can jazz it up a bit with hooklengths, swivels, beads etc. This gives better presentation, especially in winter. My rig is normally 8lb mainline, put on it a weight and a bead then tie it to a swivel, with the 5lb hooklength the other part of the swivel. Do you get that, sounds confusing but its really not. Like i said almost identical to the one in the ledger section.

And i think hair rigs were originally designed to be used with bolt rigs, but work just as well with free running rigs. With more people concerned for fish welfare and using free running rigs it is very common to use hair rigs with free running rigs.

Sorry im not really an expert on hair rigs, my attempts to make my own werent brilliant and instead of putting the fish at risk i bought some. Only £1.80 for 8 hair rigs to hooklengths.

Hope this helps

yeah thats great advice many thanks....where did u get the 8 hair rigs from cos thats a really good deal.

yeah thats great advice many thanks....where did u get the 8 hair rigs from cos thats a really good deal.

You may have to sift through these results to find them, but they do exist --> CLICK HERE

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE