Shell Garages - this is the 21st century calling

Elton

Just went to my local Shell garage, which I tend to use most of the time to fill up, and thought I'd just check my tyre pressures. I have a compressor at home to do it with, usually, but it seemed less hassle to check them whilst I was at the garage.

Seems they now want 20p to provide such a service. I thought the days of charging for air were long gone?

Stupid thing is, I'm the sort of person who will now go elsewhere for my fuel. I saw another couple pull up to the tyre pump, only to drive off without bothering. Makes me wonder if they feel the same.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd pick up a Sunday paper yesterday.

The Times caught my eye, but they charge for online content, so I picked up another instead.

I can see both sides of the argument, but ............

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

what you mean our southern neighbours are not charged for air at the fuel station, just standard up here in Scotland to pay 20p to fill our tyres with air. some stations want £1 to fill it up with water from the same pump (combined water and air dispencer thingy).

though i know all the stations around me have broken ones that work without needing to put a quid in, even better is the one that always returns your £1 when using the hoover :D

ive only ever seen one petrol station in Scotland where the air is free, that was somewhere in paisley.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

what you mean our southern neighbours are not charged for air at the fuel station, just standard up here in Scotland to pay 20p to fill our tyres with air. some stations want £1 to fill it up with water from the same pump (combined water and air dispencer thingy).

though i know all the stations around me have broken ones that work without needing to put a quid in, even better is the one that always returns your £1 when using the hoover :D

ive only ever seen one petrol station in Scotland where the air is free, that was somewhere in paisley.

Back in the 80s just about every filling station in Scotland had free air. When I left school I used to pump gas (this was before you filled your own tank), every car that came on to the forecourt got an oil check and had there windscreen washed when they came in for fuel.

The only place I see free air now is in France.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Everywhere else round here has free air. Shell are just going from bad to worse. They have the worst in-store queues, too, as they refuse to open more than one till.

I use them for their premium grade petrol for my Evo, but I'm not convinced it's any better than other fuel these days.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Everywhere else round here has free air. Shell are just going from bad to worse. They have the worst in-store queues, too, as they refuse to open more than one till.

I use them for their premium grade petrol for my Evo, but I'm not convinced it's any better than other fuel these days.

Your lucky then Elton, I can't remember when I last saw free air in Southampton. If anyone knows of one please point me in the right direction.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Your lucky then Elton, I can't remember when I last saw free air in Southampton.

Same round here, I thought paying for air was the 21st century way.

Tescos near me was still free up to a couple of years ago but the damn thing was rarely working, it works more often now it's 20p.

I need to start renting out my compressor, it seems!

Actually, a forum member came round with his PC yesterday and got me to blast out all his dust with it :D

Tesco now sell 99 octane unleaded in many of their petrol stations alongside the normal unleaded.