day ticket for pike

PikeGirl

Can anyone tell if there is anywhere reasonably close to me where day fishing for pike is allowed or even better encouraged.

Fishing the banks of local river I'm told there are numerous carp places araound & about me but nothing for pike - I ask everyone LOL

I know of Scaling, but assume as with all other NWL waters they will be shut for the winter. NWL site tells you nowt, so does anyone know if this is the case... & is it any good?

I'n angling (like the pun?) for a day out as a Christmas present.

7 lakes is a little too far, but if that's the closest then so be it, but a little closer would be good.

Scaling has some very good pike in it that go well into the twenties but it does shut at the end of this month I think, worth checking in case its the month end just gone but it does shut for winter. Head there in Spring with a selection of sea deads and you'll catch, currently its £11 for two rods for pike fishing but if you have someone under 16 fishing with you then they can also use their own rod at no extra cost

Myton Farm just off the A19 near the Thirsk industrial estate on the road to York just past the garage on your left does day tickets for pike and its easy safe parking and fishing. You can take as much as you want as its only a short walk from the car to the water so if you want to take a gas cooker for a brew or a sandwich then you'll manage that quite nicely.

Its a fiver for two rods and both Dave (the farmers son) and his dad pike fish their water, fish go to just shy of twenties but it fish's best with livies caught from the water. Both Dave and his dad will tell you to fish livies as it sorts out the pike and they have no worries over livebait fishing (good barbel angler dave is)

Turn up and fish and someone will collect the money, if its not dave then it might be his girlfriend who lives on the caravan round the back

Wykeham lakes is another favourite of mine on the Scarbrough to Pickering road and offers day tickets for piking on the winter lake, some very big fish in there but it can sometimes be a very hard water to catch on, other days they're queing up to take your deads, fish between the gravel bars for best results, had some very very good days on there

Plenty of venues up the A66 if you fancy a day or two in Scotland, some free waters and some day ticket waters but fishing Scotland is in my mind a bit special, if you can manage a few days and bivvy (or tent) it then you'll enjoy the experience, let me know if you want any Scottish venues within easy travelling time

Scaling has some very good pike in it that go well into the twenties but it does shut at the end of this month I think, worth checking in case its the month end just gone but it does shut for winter. Head there in Spring with a selection of sea deads and you'll catch, currently its £11 for two rods for pike fishing but if you have someone under 16 fishing with you then they can also use their own rod at no extra cost

Myton Farm just off the A19 near the Thirsk industrial estate on the road to York just past the garage on your left does day tickets for pike and its easy safe parking and fishing. You can take as much as you want as its only a short walk from the car to the water so if you want to take a gas cooker for a brew or a sandwich then you'll manage that quite nicely.

Its a fiver for two rods and both Dave (the farmers son) and his dad pike fish their water, fish go to just shy of twenties but it fish's best with livies caught from the water. Both Dave and his dad will tell you to fish livies as it sorts out the pike and they have no worries over livebait fishing (good barbel angler dave is)

Turn up and fish and someone will collect the money, if its not dave then it might be his girlfriend who lives on the caravan round the back

Wykeham lakes is another favourite of mine on the Scarbrough to Pickering road and offers day tickets for piking on the winter lake, some very big fish in there but it can sometimes be a very hard water to catch on, other days they're queing up to take your deads, fish between the gravel bars for best results, had some very very good days on there

Plenty of venues up the A66 if you fancy a day or two in Scotland, some free waters and some day ticket waters but fishing Scotland is in my mind a bit special, if you can manage a few days and bivvy (or tent) it then you'll enjoy the experience, let me know if you want any Scottish venues within easy travelling time

Not being funny (Just curious)!

But wouldn't pike fisheries/lakes get a lot of deaths? I was under the impression that Pike suffer greatly from being caught and that is the reason you don't find many dedicated fisheries. (Correct me if I am wrong, I am a little in-experienced with Pike)

:)

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

They can do and sometimes do suffer badly through bad angling practice which can result in a lot of mortalities but thats why on fisheries where piking is allowed and encouraged that pretty strict controls and baliffing is carried out on pike venues

Sustained recapture of a small head of pike is detremental to the species and can upset the balance of the lakes ecology if the larger apex predators are either killed or removed but sensile fishing by responsible and well prepared anglers should'nt impact too greatly on them

There are a number of pike fisheries who won't let you pike fish unless you attend either one of their pike teach ins or they have observed you fishing and then leave you alone. A good experienced baliff knows the difference between an experienced piker and a bluffer and soon can tell the difference

Well managed pike fisheries contain many species and good heads of species so once pike have been returned and rested aftera feed they soon revert back to normal type behavior without any adverse affect on their wellbeing but it needs responsible and fish aware anglers to play their part in the safe handling disgorging and safe returning of fish as well

Sometimes that may mean spending 15 or 20 minutes with a good fish gently moving it back and forth by holding its tail until its recovered enough energy and taken enough oxygen into its gills to swim safely away, thats what i mean about responsible pikers, making sure that the fish is in a condition to be returned without it going belly up and being ignorned

A good proper well managed pike fishery is a place to be treasured and fished and enjoyed and if theres one near you then you should go and see for yourself just how responsible in the main pikers are, of course theres always the idiots who don't give a flying f*ck about anything and anyone thats one of the reasons I'll never publish unbaliffed waters or waters where the idiots can ruin it and therefore everyone elses fishing, something which does happen on some sections of unregulated rivers, some prime local examples of that not too far from me

Thanks Brian - helpful as ever. I thought Scalaing would be closing shortly, as is Grasholme (trout mind).

Like the sound of the place near Thirsk, but I can't quite get my head around livebaiting & prefer using dead 'uns - would this be no good?

Scotland sounds great & not so far away, but a bivvy or tent in this weather is out of the question I can't stand the cold! A caravan on the other hand I could live with. LOL.

Back to the Tees then - all through the summer I've heard tales of pike coming out on piece, however they obviously not feeding when I get there as I can't see any evidence, though to be honest I don't start till lunchtime

Change of tack this weekend, up & out at dawn.

Myton does fish to deads but no where near as good as with lives

Take no notice of all the bull about Tees pike, theres not that many big ones come out, most folk who catch them don't know the difference between a 10 or a 20lber so they're all 20's, well it was this long so it's got to be a 20 type of thing

There are some good ones come out but when and where is a bit of a closed shop but as for the weekend on the Tees, be careful as the river is on flood alert

have a look here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...els/120692.aspx it'll give you the river levels for the Tees, click on the dots and it'll give you Barnard castle, Broken Scar, Low Moor (Over Dinsdale) and Yarm

You eant settled conditions and a steady low flow for best results, 6 inch's of water in the Tees puts the pike off and then they run the water off at the barrage and the flows like a train

Look for river levels on the graph at the bottom of the page at the low end of the normal range for best fishing

They can do and sometimes do suffer badly through bad angling practice which can result in a lot of mortalities but thats why on fisheries where piking is allowed and encouraged that pretty strict controls and baliffing is carried out on pike venues

Sustained recapture of a small head of pike is detremental to the species and can upset the balance of the lakes ecology if the larger apex predators are either killed or removed but sensile fishing by responsible and well prepared anglers should'nt impact too greatly on them

There are a number of pike fisheries who won't let you pike fish unless you attend either one of their pike teach ins or they have observed you fishing and then leave you alone. A good experienced baliff knows the difference between an experienced piker and a bluffer and soon can tell the difference

Well managed pike fisheries contain many species and good heads of species so once pike have been returned and rested aftera feed they soon revert back to normal type behavior without any adverse affect on their wellbeing but it needs responsible and fish aware anglers to play their part in the safe handling disgorging and safe returning of fish as well

Sometimes that may mean spending 15 or 20 minutes with a good fish gently moving it back and forth by holding its tail until its recovered enough energy and taken enough oxygen into its gills to swim safely away, thats what i mean about responsible pikers, making sure that the fish is in a condition to be returned without it going belly up and being ignorned

A good proper well managed pike fishery is a place to be treasured and fished and enjoyed and if theres one near you then you should go and see for yourself just how responsible in the main pikers are, of course theres always the idiots who don't give a flying f*ck about anything and anyone thats one of the reasons I'll never publish unbaliffed waters or waters where the idiots can ruin it and therefore everyone elses fishing, something which does happen on some sections of unregulated rivers, some prime local examples of that not too far from me

Thanks for the excellent response! It has really educated me on the subject. I was hoping that someone would respond the way you did and not take it as ''personal dig'' which it was of course not intended to be.

I may pop down to one sometime and have a look around. I did some pike fishing a fair few years ago. As I didn't know anyone who went piking I went on my own after seeing it on TV plenty of times and had a go at it. I walked nearly 5 miles down the canal and had nothing! Then I got 3 in a row, one cast after the other.... Then nothing for another half a mile and came home.

All 3 were small (About 4lb-6lb) but it was great fun catching them! The only part I struggled with was handling the fish. I saw people grab near the mouth but due to inexperience and not wanting to damage the fish I unhooked them in the landing net and quickly let them go without admiring them.

I have since learned they can be quite fragile fish and therefore would rather go with someone who is experienced next time to avoid possible injuring of the fish.

I will certainly look into a Pike venue though. I am sure experienced Pike anglers would lend a hand if I was struggling!

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

God forbid I get a 20lb-er first go, or even a 10 for that matter. A nice little jack will do me nicely to start with.

Already realised about the water levels. That site marker is ace ta for that. We should of been at Derwent yday, but my friend's dad was put off by the weather, so we raced home collected our gear (even bought blooming maggots) & legged it to the Tees. Only to find it was a raging torrent, we walked it a little & further down it was flooding over the footpath, so we turned round & came home again (gutted!)

Hopefully, this will settle by weekend, though not sounding good from what you've said. At least that site will save me trips up to Broken Scar - closest bit to me & seems to be good for a whole range of species, though regretably not Mr Pike.

God forbid I get a 20lb-er first go, or even a 10 for that matter. A nice little jack will do me nicely to start with.

Already realised about the water levels. That site marker is ace ta for that. We should of been at Derwent yday, but my friend's dad was put off by the weather, so we raced home collected our gear (even bought blooming maggots) & legged it to the Tees. Only to find it was a raging torrent, we walked it a little & further down it was flooding over the footpath, so we turned round & came home again (gutted!)

Hopefully, this will settle by weekend, though not sounding good from what you've said. At least that site will save me trips up to Broken Scar - closest bit to me & seems to be good for a whole range of species, though regretably not Mr Pike.

Ther is a good pike venue at Strensil near york called Pottery Pond....pike upto 25lb...........bit of advice though , dont fish on a night time , too many rats running about at night.

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt