Performance Cars

Austin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erm! with difficulty but my blue one gets very funny looks when I get my tackle out of it, but the boot is wonderful can get the tackle for 4 of us in it unless we take 6' long rod holdalls. My little red one I cant get anything in it as the 4 550bhp bottles of nos get in the way, it's 4.9 litre full race lightened and polished crank ultra lightweight alloy flywheel and so on and so fourth, its very very quick. But it only does 3 mpg my blue one does 12 mpg.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Owners club track days are your friend for trying out the cars performance and that a very good choice for a utility car. I'm not that familiar with the lotus but remember anythings possible with a big enough hammer ;) plus the amount of tuning equipment for jap cars is immense might have a look into it as an "intellectual" exercise

I've got track day cover for four or five events a year as part of my policy and SELOC organises some good events. Just a matter of getting round to it. That picture of the RX-8 was taken on the Prodrive handling circuit on an RX-8 owners club day - excellent fun, though more instruction than trackday.

bloody hell toad, thats excellent. its strange how i know exactly what your on about.

nos is illegal on public roads though isnt it ?

always loved the idea of a track car. i was trying to keep hold of my old cavalier as a track day car but couldn't keep it because of council parking around here (problem with city center living) costs were far too high for a car that would never be moved for years till i got the funds to mod it. one day though

im surprised elton hasnt posted up his hot rod yet

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

No nos is not illegal but you are required to have a warning sticker...because of possible dangers of explosions in the event of a major accident and naturally to warn firemen in case of a fire. Which surprises me as caravans don't have to have one and most of them are carrying propane or butane which is much more likely to explode in a fire.

But you should see my next car...hehehe now that is what I call bl**dy fast.

Naturally I would not dream of opening my little red one up in the uk but it has been clocked/timed doing 140 in second...hehehe

My new one when its finished although I am not sure about the colour. cant get the photo to load properly will see what I am doing wrong

Edited by watatoad

Lightness through clever engineering is more my cup of tea ;)
I reckon getting upwards of 90,000 BHP from an engine that is running at around 100 RPM is damned clever engineering.

Back to cars though (not that I'm that interested in them, I prefer two-wheeled vehicles or anything that has a propeller).

I have had a little hypothesis that it's not the vehicle that matters so much as the experience, skill and courage of the driver/rider/pilot. Here's a little "thought experiment" a "gedankenexperiment" to illustrate my point.

We take Austin and his modified motor to the Nürburgring and pit him against Sabine Schmitz in the "Ring Taxi" which is a 507 BHP BMW M5.

I'd bet a pound to a penny that Austin would get his Equus africanus asinus whupped every lap.

Just my wee two bits worth you understand. YMMV.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

im surprised elton hasnt posted up his hot rod yet

Sorry, Andy. Misses was at work yesterday evening, so I had the kids until Masterchef, after which I nodded off on the sofa :)

Austin - nice car! I'd dispute your claim that it's not a 'practical' performance car, though. Looks perfectly practical to me. 15mpg doesn't make it impractical - it just makes it dearer than next door's Golf to get from A to B :D My mate's Pop was doing 4mpg until he changed the diff, at which point he got 8 out of it. I see Rod has gone one, ahem, 'better' at 3mpg. Even that doesn't make them impractical, though, imho. Being extremely noisy, uncomfortable, impossible to fit anything in and having less ground clearance than a gnat's chuff would, however. I'd have thought that your car is the sort of thing Kev writes about in PPC mag fairly regularly (not that I've read the mag - sorry, Kev!). Nice, expensive, still loads of potential and drivable.

Here's one of mine:

my-prefect.jpg

It's a concours restoration of a 1953 Ford Prefect E493A. Every effort has been made to lovingly encapsulate the moment the original car rolled off the Ford production line, nearly sixty years ago...

Okay, maybe not :) It's chopped, shortened, has a Jag rear and a 4-litre bored out Rover P6 engine in it. The technology inside extends to a switch to start it. It doesn't even have a fuel gauge, which is a bit of a worry. Comfort and safety is taken care of by two bucket seats, harnesses, a full cage and a few fire extinguishers. I'll put it in for its NCAP rating next year :D

I'd like to say I built it, but I didn't. It's my first custom and I specifically wanted one I could tinker with, but not have to do from scratch. No idea what the performance figures are, but it ain't that quick. This is something I'll look at in the future, if/when I have more time. There's a bit more about it on this thread.

My other toy car is a Evo 4 GSR, which I've owned for many years and only just put back on the road. It sat on my drive for years, as I didn't have the time and money to bother with it, yet didn't want to sell it. It's got a few minor mods, but nothing huge - HKS tubular manifold, Blitz Nur Spec-R exhaust, lowered suspension, bigger brakes, ARP conrod bolts (ready for boost control, which I never fitted), strut brace and some other bits that I never remember.

I've got to make a decision what to do with it next year. It's tired, not worth much and my interests lie elsewhere (until I get in and drive it, at which point I'm in love again!). In the back of my mind, I'm thinking I want to swap it for a mild hotrod; something with a Pinto engine, or similar.

Ironically, like most blokes into cars it seems, neither of those is my regular drive. The car I do the most miles in (not that I do many) is this one. :D

And before anyone starts to bemoan the 'cost' of running three cars for one person, they are my hobby. I don't drink, smoke, or even go out on the town. I do most of my own work on them and they cost me very little. The Prefect costs zero to tax and £150 to insure, for example. In my drinking days, I could spend that in one weekend, easily ;)

As I typed that last bit, I was reminded of something quite ironic; last week, me and my friend finished laying a concrete slab in my garden, which will be the base for a large shed for my tinkering. That base, alone, cost more than my daily driver....and that was doing it ourselves! Funny old world :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The Red one on the left is not mine and I have a few more...Sorry I just like some cars.

I usually use the white one for fishing but have had to buy something a little larger now.

My mate in Suffolk has a red one like the one that isn't yours. Your mate isn't called Charles, is he?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I reckon getting upwards of 90,000 BHP from an engine that is running at around 100 RPM is damned clever engineering.

Back to cars though (not that I'm that interested in them, I prefer two-wheeled vehicles or anything that has a propeller).

I have had a little hypothesis that it's not the vehicle that matters so much as the experience, skill and courage of the driver/rider/pilot. Here's a little "thought experiment" a "gedankenexperiment" to illustrate my point.

We take Austin and his modified motor to the Nürburgring and pit him against Sabine Schmitz in the "Ring Taxi" which is a 507 BHP BMW M5.

I'd bet a pound to a penny that Austin would get his Equus africanus asinus whupped every lap.

Just my wee two bits worth you understand. YMMV.

if she's the gal saw on top gear she'd thrash him in my car :1a:

i feel sorry for fast cars it must be like having a racehorse with hobbles on ,you see them at the lights with 6" wide exhausts and their away as the lights change but i'v overtaken the buggers on the 90 as soon as they get in the next bottle neck ,some of the pricks used to edge out trying to stop you getting past as you merrily chugged past leaving them far behind :D the hogs back going into guildford in the rush hour is a riot of middle aged geezers in sports cars and today old blokes reliving their "yoof" on harley's to fat to go up the middle :rolleyes: whats the point of having a bike if its just as big as a car? whats the point of a fast car when they only go as fast as a slow one 99.99% of the time?

i have a second car also a 86 vw golf ,why lose my licence again over speed ,as they say once bitten twice shy .been a good boy since 1980.having a quick car would encourage me to go quick

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My mate in Suffolk has a red one like the one that isn't yours. Your mate isn't called Charles, is he?

No pity that the owner of that one is John and guess what he plays with fast cars for a living, I know 2 other red owners and one black car owner and she's a hairdresser in Ipswich.

this is the rear of my next car if all goes well.

In case any are wondering why those particular cars. Its the image thing I am an interior and landscape architect/designer and an image consultant and a business advisor. People just wont listen to what you say unless you look the part no matter how good you are nor how correct your advise is.

Just left on my own with no others to worry about I would just be happy with an estate. I had an old Cortina Mk3 estate 1.6 as a personal motor bought it as a 1 year old secondhand car and kept it for 11 years and 186,000 miles did me very well bl**dy good motor then followed 3 Rover SDI's o.k.,o.k., they were all V8's then 4 Volvo estates was going to get another Volvo but got a great deal on a Mercedes pity its an automatic, I've always preferred manual gearboxes but her indoors liked the colour that's why I got the blue one I was after a less ostentatious motor but it keeps her happy.

Edited by watatoad