Performance Cars

Austin

I know 2 other red owners and one black car owner and she's a hairdresser in Ipswich.

Hairdressers are supposed to have BMW Z3's. It's the law! :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Around here they have Porsche's, Jaguar's, and I believe one has an Aston.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Around here they have Porsche's, Jaguar's, and I believe one has an Aston.

Mine has a Fiesta, but then I don't have much hair for her to cut :D

No wonder my father-in-law is always busy, working in your Waitrose.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Mine has a Fiesta, but then I don't have much hair for her to cut :D

No wonder my father-in-law is always busy, working in your Waitrose.

Next time I am fishing the river behind Waitrose I will take a couple of Photo's of the car's in their car park and you will have a laugh, there are 4 x 4's mostly new and on lease wall to wall...hehehe, then a few sports cars and Mercedes and BMW's everywhere.

My late mother used to call them the wanna be's motor's because they all want to be landed gentry but don't have the money and certainly don't have the manners nor the elegance and style...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Just leave the old man's Vectra out, though :D

The place I used to get my hair cut, one of hairdressers had an Evo on trackday tyres and a nutter jap bike.

Balance was restored by one of the others having a 206 cabrio, though :lol:

I reckon getting upwards of 90,000 BHP from an engine that is running at around 100 RPM is damned clever engineering.

I think making it run faster would be more impressive still! But something like the Typhoon impresses me more than something which is just very, very large.

I have had a little hypothesis that it's not the vehicle that matters so much as the experience, skill and courage of the driver/rider/pilot. Here's a little "thought experiment" a "gedankenexperiment" to illustrate my point.

We take Austin and his modified motor to the Nürburgring and pit him against Sabine Schmitz in the "Ring Taxi" which is a 507 BHP BMW M5.

I'd bet a pound to a penny that Austin would get his Equus africanus asinus whupped every lap.

Just my wee two bits worth you understand. YMMV.

On the public road, you will never drive faster than an idiot with no imagination, and cross country pace is more limited by visibility than by grip and by the risk of prosecution than by power. Having said that, the more accelerative your car, the more opportunities you have to safely pass slower traffic.

On track, a professional racing driver will literally run rings around the average driver - though given the popularity of trackdays and club level racing and the availability of good track driving instruction, there are a lot of drivers out there now who while they might qualify at the back of the grid would at least keep in sight of professionals. Not me, I hasten to add, but we don't know about Austin.

A-B speed isn't really the point for most people, though. You aren't racing on the road and you aren't racing on track days, you're just enjoying the sensations. If you get into a competitive form of motorsport, that's a different matter.

I've always maintained that, whilst the breakneck sensation you get when you put your foot down in a performance car is nice, the main benefits I like from my Evo are the fact that it has such features as four wheel drive, active yaw control, good quality brakes and the ability to pass quickly and without incident when the opportunity arises. There are not many better handling cars available and run-of-the-mill family cars can be quite frightening, by comparison.

And so cheap, too...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=300488499807

(I get sent a few eBay searches every day with various subjects of interest in. I won't sell my own Evo now, as they are just so cheap and it doesn't seem worth the effort!).