Request for advice on de-silting.

DonRamos

My club has a 1 1/2 acre lake with what we believe is 3 foot of leaves and general sediment on the bottom of it. This build up has not been dealt with for a considerable period of time and has resulted in a reduction of the depth of the lake to less that one foot in places. Last summer a large number of carp died at the venue due to low oxygen levels caused trough the lack of depth and the large covering of duckweed that the lake has. Does anybody know of a relatively cheap method of removing the leaves and sediment from the bottom of the lake? We can get together a group of people to do the work but we do not have the funds to dredge the lake. The duckweed problem is in hand but any responses to the depth problem wold be greatfully received.

DonRamos:

My club has a 1 1/2 acre lake with what we believe is 3 foot of leaves and general sediment on the bottom of it. This build up has not been dealt with for a considerable period of time and has resulted in a reduction of the depth of the lake to less that one foot in places. Last summer a large number of carp died at the venue due to low oxygen levels caused trough the lack of depth and the large covering of duckweed that the lake has. Does anybody know of a relatively cheap method of removing the leaves and sediment from the bottom of the lake? We can get together a group of people to do the work but we do not have the funds to dredge the lake. The duckweed problem is in hand but any responses to the depth problem wold be greatfully received.

Don if you E-mail me I can give you a contact in this field.

phil h.

Siltex is indeed a good product but in reality probably wont give you any more than another foot of depth, if done properly. IMO the only real solution is to drain and get machines in. This will cost a bit in the short term but is the best long term solution. Machines are not that expensive to hire, what costs is the labour. So look to hire (or borrow from a friendly farmer) and do the work yourselves. Getting rid of the spoil can be expensive if it can't be used / dumped on site, however it will be rich in nitrates and useful for farmers to spread on their land.

Alan.

DonRamos,

Have you read this article ?

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

dynamite and plenty of it (works for blaster bates) and fish for tea mmmm

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Alan Pearce:

Alan your dam right it can be expensive! Having it removed to a landfill site will cost you trucking fees, landfill disposal fees, and lanfill tax. Possibly as high as £100 per ton, dependant on how its classified.

You mentioned its NPK value. As a natural fertilizer mixed with other organic farm waste it as high as you could get.

Why do think that the most productive growing land is on the floodplains of rivers?

Silt my man, silt!!!!

I would think that such silt is a very salable material indeed, to organic growers and farmers.

Soil Association may be able to give people information on prospective buyers

phil h.

I`m going through this myself but on a much larger scale. We are tipping locally so it is a piece of cake. Money can be made avaliable to you for enviromental projects such as the desiltation of lakes through `The Landfill Tax Credit Scheme` if; You are within 12 miles of a landfill site and you draft members of your club from the public domain. 100 per cent grants avaliable. Have you got a good secretary Donramos?

OP-JB

I`m going through this myself but on a much larger scale. We are tipping locally so it is a piece of cake. Money can be made avaliable to you for enviromental projects such as the desiltation of lakes through `The Landfill Tax Credit Scheme` if; You are within 12 miles of a landfill site and you draft members of your club from the public domain. 100 per cent grants avaliable. Have you got a good secretary Donramos?

OP-JB