Hemp for Tench

Been using some 'chilli-ed' hemp for the tench but had been wondering whether a nice sweet addition might be better.

Just been reading one of the monthly's that recommends addition of salt for bream.

To save some time on experimentation (need more fishing time) I was wondering if anyone had any clear preferences based on results.

Thanks

Regards,

Martin

Hello Martin..

To be honest I've never really heard of people adding salt for Bream or chilli hemp for Tench, they're both new ones on me. There's much been written on here that Bream especially big ones aren't so partial to Hemp.

If I were you I'd just use it straight from the pan and use the water to mix your groundbait if you're using any. Occasionally I might glug a little molasses into the hemp especially at one estate lake I fish where they seem particularly partial to the stuff. I might also add a few drops of an Archie Braddock flavouring that I use. Tench Magic I think it's called.

Good luck, theres no harm in trying new things out..

One of the dangers of using hemp for tench is that they can get TOTALLY pre-occupied with it and ignore any hook bait you present them with!! Very frustrating knowing you've got tench in your swim - yet only getting the odd 'liner'!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I tried adding various things to hemp a few seasons ago and fairly quickly gave it up - fish (excepting bream, apparently) love hemp as it is, and adding chilli/salt/sugar didn't seem to make it any better or worse.

I'd echo what Chris P said though - I'm tending to use less and less hemp these days, especially for tench. I still consider it absolutely vital, but if you put too much in you're in for the session from hell!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Has anyone ever tried glueing hemp on to a hair rig so you end up with a ball of hemp hanging from the hook? It seems like an easy way to fish hemp as a large hook bait and it wouldn't matter if fish became obssesed with the hemp.

Has anyone ever tried glueing hemp on to a hair rig so you end up with a ball of hemp hanging from the hook? It seems like an easy way to fish hemp as a large hook bait and it wouldn't matter if fish became obssesed with the hemp.

Hopefully Budgie will see and respond to this - I remember him describing some very cunning hemp rigs!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I thik it was Kryston who used to do a product called bogey which was quite effective for sticking hemp together and another method was to create a multi hair rig with the hemp being threaded onto the fine hairs.

I have been using a cunning little rig with the artificial hemp and so far have had tench, bream and a pb rudd.

I will do a little article with pics etc in due course.

Incidentally, I stuck some golden syrup in my hemp last time out and failed to catch a tench for first time this season. Think I'll go back to chilli-ed!

Regards,

Martin