Dead bait clips?

AddictedToScopex

You can Jason but its such a lot of messing around that quite simply isnt needed!

Firm baits bury the nook in the tail root.

Soft baits mount fresh then secure with elastic then freeze.

Simples!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you use PVA string to whip the deadbait on to support it for the cast?

It might start to melt on a frozen bait. If I feel it needs any extra stuff to hold it on I use the bait elastic that sea anglers use on soft baits. A few whips of elastic and you snap it off. But most times I just choose a bait to suit the distance I am casting.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Good comments as always. The rod I am using as a john wilson pike dead bait rod so I wouldnt have thought that was giving me too much trouble with the cast. It is very likely the bait. I will go for a tougher bait next time. Being new to deadbaiting I dont have the experience to draw on to know which baits are good for what. Which is exactly why I post on here :D . I did also consider PVA but came to the same conclusion as dales.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

One of the biggest obstacles to getting any distance in your cast is not the bait used but the set up on the main line

Standard way of attaching weight to line is through the eyed swivel on the lead and then down to a bead and clip to your trace. Most leads are of at least 2oz with 3oz being a bit better for distance but when a big welly is required a 4oz lead is fixed as described

Trouble is when you do give it a big welly with a 3 or 4oz lead and bait on then the whole lot tends to "bolo" in the air and it reduces distance, you can minimise it a bit by using smaller baits but it still happens to some degree. Plenty of power and a "bolo" action of lead and bait turning over one another in the air is frustrating and can lead to your baits tearing off mid air

The best way I've found for distance casting even with big soft baits is to rig your lead on a John Roberts run ring and fish it running paternoster style with a length of mono tied to the run ring and lead about equal in length to the length of your trace so that both weight and bait are pretty even at the end of your line

I use a run ring with the Roberts beads and a soft rubber bead as a cushion to the swivel with the ring being free to run up the line but stopped at the trace by the buffer beads

As you go to prepare to cast gently swing the whole rig out over so that the trace and weight slightly seperate and don't tangle on the trebles when you cast

Give the whole lot some real welly and the weight and bait fly through the air together as theres no jerkiness to the casting action as both weight and bait go through the compression stage at the same time

When they hit the water there won't be much distance between where the two land and you won't have to wind in much to tighten up

Give it a go, you'll never use deadbait casting clips again

A lot of good advice from some expert users of dead baits...If nothing so far in this thread works reconsider the area you are targeting at your venue of choice and remember get smaller fish feeding on maggots encourages big Pike to move into your area...failing that get a boat maybe even an inflatable...but watch where you put the trebles...hehehe

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Thanks again everyone. As always very useful information. I will be putting some of it into practice tomorrow if I can stop myself for having a go for some good sized perch. :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

[quote name='Brian Carragher' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:55 PM' post='3360883'

The best way I've found for distance casting even with big soft baits is to rig your lead on a John Roberts run ring and fish it running paternoster style with a length of mono tied to the run ring and lead about equal in length to the length of your trace so that both weight and bait are pretty even at the end of your line

Eric Edwards talked about this at the PAC Conference. The paternoster link was the same length as the trace. The lead was a lump of 4oz lead beaten into a banana shape. The lead was then cupped around the bait and the two were tied together using PVA mesh. Simply nip the mesh onto the top treble, wrap the bait and lead together with a few turns and finish at the bottom treble. Eric could hit 100yds using a spod rod.

Could you use PVA string to whip the deadbait on to support it for the cast?

sorry , didnt see previouse posts

Edited by pestguard1

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt