carpbait

Guest craig

I have not been fising for carp that long

and i am after any good tips on bait selction.

E.G fishmeal or fruit for the start of the year.

Or any alternative bait that you've had success on.

But no mention of luncheon meat please heard it all before.

Looking for something original.

THANKS .

CRAIG

Guest John Weddup

Craig,

I personaly enjoy fishing for carp this time of year they are more of a chalenge. If you have a lake near you not too deep with shallows you'll generaly find carp and tench can feed all year. The deep water is said to be the best but I find the shallows when the sun shines are very good. Pick a sheltered area that catches the sun preferably under tree cover on the bank this makes a suntrap.

Baits, well I prefer soft paste baits made of boilie base mixes, just don't boil them. Make a cricket ball size mix with eggs and you can add flavours via sprays or dips as you fish. I prefer a green lipped mussell base mix that is great all year on its own or takes flavours very well. I fish pastes direct on the hook moulding them on the shank of a size 4 or 2. when you have success with a flavour stick with it. This is where time spent on a water helps a flavour seems to work for some time with a gradual change to a fresh flavour. As you experiment you can introduce this new flavour. I'm different to a lot of carp anglers in that I do the opposite. This has always worked for me. I love large lobworms bread is brilliant especially in the cold it takes flavours so well and leaks them slowly. As for your first question fish meal or fruit it varys day to day water to water and so on thats what makes it all interesting. I hope if your new to fishing you learn all aspects and fish for other fish aswell, if your a general angler don't lose track of your routes keep enjoying all aspects of angling and don't just go for the carp.

Yours Sincerly,

John Weddup

Thanks John

You say about putting the paste directly on to

the hook does this not affect the hooking of

the fish!. As i am very confident in my hair and

rig style.And also about fishing for other species

at the moment its only for carp. Ive done about

ten years for other fish and have now moved on to

a new large water and have got the chance for a

couple of big lumps.I had up to a 21 so far but i

belive you can never stop learning.

thanks

CRAIG

Guest RobStubbs

Craig,

If I were using only paste I'd mould it around the hair (via a bit of spagetti etc). When I use paste I tend to mould it around a small boilie - thus getting the benefits of a soft paste, i.e quick leakage and the firmness of a boilie. If small fish peck off the paste you still have a bait there. I use my standard boilie mix and I have found it still on the boilie after 18hours so it's wise not to cover the hook.

Rob.

Guest John Weddup

Dear Craig

I,ve not had problems with hooking fish as I leave the large part of the hook free from bait sticking out of the side of the paste bait. I do think though that generally paste baits are for short casting on smaller waters. I also dont fish long sessions with baits in position for hours on end.Robs suggestions are good if i were to concentrate on carp more I probably would hair rig more but i have had no problems with missed runs up to now. This forum seems to be working this is great. Lets keep it up.

best regards

John

Thanks John/Rob

The only thing i need to know now is do i need to add

flavours ,attractors to a standard mix .

Or can i use it on its own. As there is alot of

different ingredients out there, it can be very confuseing.

P.S My spelling is bad, but just ignore it i do. HA HA!

SPEAK TO YOU SOON

MAY YOUR NETS STAY WET.

Guest PM.Melia

Hi Craig

In winter I have had a great deal of sucess in using small 8mm-10mm boilies, 2 or 3 on a hair, and then wrap them in the same flavour paste, together with a stringer.

This gives a good leak off and also I think the carp can be more tempted in winter to pick up a smaller high attraction bait, it has worked well for me both here and overseas

Keep up the determination and tight lines.

Paulie

PAUL you say you have fished over seas!

Where did you fish and what did you catch

let me know ,there's a good chap. As this sounds

a bitt fishy.

LATER TATER .

CRAIG.