River fishing close season

Guest John Weddup

Guest GlennB

As far as I can see it has little to do with spawning periods for coarse fish. This seems to leave other wildlife, the state of vegetation on the banks etc.

In all honesty, what proportion of the average river's banks are suitable/accessible for fishing ... 10% max? I'd guess that wild birds have long since learned to avoid those tell-tale gaps where geezers wave sticks and lines around, and just stick to the out-of-the-way places.

From a personal point of view, there is nothing like a riverside in the full flush of springtime. I know I could just go for a walk, but to sit there fishing a quiet river in the spring sunshine with a thousand shades of green around me would be bliss. Somehow a lake or canal is not quite the same. That's probably just me being selfish I suppose :>

Cheers

Glenn

Guest waterman1013

Hi John et al

I'm a traditionalist, particulalry when it comes to rivers.

The close season was introduced at the behest of anglers in Sheffield to protect the spawning fish when they shoal up in large numbers in concentrated masses. On rivers which are still allowed to be natural, as opposed to those controlled by the EA and their electronic flood control gates, fish still congregate in large numbers and would be at the mercy of unscrupulous fishermen at such times.

River fishing is the last preserve of 'real' angling, in the sense that all the fish are wild and free to roam. In this sense river angling is one of the three great country sports, hunting, shooting and fishing, and as all countrymen know a seasonal break is good not only for the quarry but also for the countryside and their own sanity.

Anyway the rivers are the only place now where you can still feel the importance of the 16th June and get that buzz that keeps us all coming back for more.

tlfe

Mike