HEMP

Guest Dave B

Guest Dave B

Just a quickie, I wondered if any of you lads had any thoughts on fermented hemp. By this I mean hemp that has been cocked a week in advance and left in a bucket until the water turns milky.

I have used it to great effect when stalking carp. Any views?

Guest piscary
Originally posted by Dave B:

Just a quickie, I wondered if any of you lads had any thoughts on fermented hemp. By this I mean hemp that has been cocked a week in advance and left in a bucket until the water turns milky.

Cocked,Dave? How to you cock hemp, then?

So, you're leaving it in a bucket, now. Din't you used to leave it in your mother's best aluminium saucepan until it went black and had to be used, thereafter, only for cocking hemp in?

I have used it to great effect when stalking carp. Any views?

He has, guys. It works. I've seen the ones he's caught.

Tight ruined kitchen implements,

Piscary

Guest craig

Dave, I tried it once leaving it

in a bucket for three days.

It smelt like a bag of sick! tongue.gif

Did yours?

craig.

Guest Dave B

No, it doesn't smell too bad, the secret is to keep it cool - I put mine in the fridge.

One thing's for sure though, it really does work. There must be a concentration of flavour as a result of the fermenting period. I've observed carp swimming out of reed beds on scoffing the stuff literally seconds after I've introduced it to a swim. Like I mentioned, I've caught loads of carp while stalking with the stuff.

Guest Dave B

I think I should stress the fact that I only ever let the hemp ferment for about five days. I never use it aftter this period.

I'm not sure of the chemical breakdown of hemp and whether it produces any toxins?

I shouldn't think it does, with the amount that some guys use on lakes with relatively small heads of fish, I think there would have been some evidence if decomposing hemp was dangerous.

Guest Dave B

Of course I have Murph. I can't wait for tel and tone to turn up to witness the brace of thirties on Friday night - ha, ha, ha.

By BTW, do you like curry? I'm taking me trusty wok with me and was thinking of knocking up a chick korma for Friday night to dilute the beer and whiskey!

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Dave B:

By BTW, do you like curry? I'm taking me trusty wok with me and was thinking of knocking up a chick korma for Friday night to dilute the beer and whiskey!

Do I like curry? Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?!!

Mate, I was fortunate enough the other week to be taken around a recently shut down food processors and have industrial pots of curry paste and other spices filling up my kitchen right now biggrin.gif

Tight Don't Put Your Bivvy Too Near Mine's,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Elton (edited 06 March 2000).]

Guest G. Reaper

It DOES work and can be the canine sphericals - well it has been on some occasions that I have used it and if you're not toooooo particular when carping - the slabs like it.

I don't know about a week but 3-4 days and when it start smelling a bit rancid - that's when to use it and the water does start to cloud.

Before that - boil it up till it cracks - leave it in the bucket - in the liquid and in the shed.

I found that it also works, as a hook bait, by really pushing a liquidiser to destruction and using it as a base for a paste or boilies - use it over a bed of the stuff still as particles.

You can also use it as a particle on the hair over a bed.

I think the name of the game is DON'T chuck or change the water - use it with the bait.

I don't know how well it goes with curry though smile.gif

Guest Graham E

One of your contributors runs a catering business and uses lots of curry ingredients that are very expensive to buy...Elton!

For info just as hemp is finished cooking and still hot in the water, try adding 30percent small carp pellets and leave for 10 mins,then a specimen groundbait mix, some binder and stir well off the heat. Mix well. A really great soft bait that carp just about go ga ga for. Add a spoon of golden syrup and cocoa powder for a change.