Boilies

Guest Dave B

Guest Dave B

While I'm ranting about hemp, I'd like to hear what you all think about levels of flavour in boilies. I have had tremendous success with heavily flavoured and 'glugged' baits in the past. But, last summer I fished a water where the carp would rather accept a bait that had been in the water for 48 hours with very little smell left in it. I even started taking my hookbaits and soaking them in a jar of water from the lake water before I went fishing - and it worked!

Has anyone ever had similar encounters with low flavoured baits?

Guest RobStubbs

Dave,

I currently use no flavours and when I have done I normally use lower levels than suggested - really what smells acceptable to my nose (once boiled, frozen & thawed). I would never use high levels especially if you need to soak (wash out the flavour) them for a couple of days. My baits wouldn't stand it they would just go to soft mush.

If I were to use a 'flavour' I'd prefer an essential oil (black pepper) and probably something like the nutrabaits caviar - i.e. as close to natural ingredients as possible.

Rob.

Guest Dave B

One of my most successful baits ever is a fishmeal based boilie. I liquidise about 8oz of raw pigs liver and add this to the base, along with about 15ml of Ritchworth liquid liver natural extract (for a 4 egg mix). The results have been brilliant. There are no added flavours, and the natural combination of the fishmeal and pigs liver is more than enough to do the trick.

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Dave B:

There are no added flavours, and the natural combination of the fishmeal and pigs liver is more than enough to do the trick.

Natural combination? How big are these pig-eating carp, Dave?!! biggrin.gif

Tight Lines,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Dave B:

Just ask my ma! She used to go and get the liver for me.

It's true - Rosie told me that she's wrestled a few pigs in her time!! tongue.gif

Dave, don't tell her I said that!!!!

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk