Manta Ray v Tarpon

Manrock

I am close to getting my first yak and I popped into A&S Watersports in Exeter today and they have come up with 2 packages that interested me.

One was the Manta Ray 12 (angler) and the other was the Tarpon 120 Angler. They both look bloody great and I just can't decide which one to go for! The Manta is £50 cheaper but that's not overly important.

I want to catch Bass during the summer to start with on comfortable sea conditions.

Any helpful reviews etc would be most appreciated.

Which one for a newbie?

Cheers

Steve

Don't know if it is of any help but i got my Tarpon 160i from them and i have been very pleased with it. It's a good looking boat (looks great on the car with my surfboard :D ) and very fast. Tank well has ample space, i have managed to fit a fish finder on with no problem. Anchor fixing was hard due to the position of the carry handles. Bit difficult to use the factory fitted rod holder to the front when paddling as it seems to be in the way whichever position i try.

Would i buy the same again - yes.

My mate has a Ocean Prowler which i have tried and it was a harder paddle but a bit more stable when fishing.

Nigel McCowen-Smith

Barnstaple

Devon

Tarpon 160i Angler Wilderness (Red)

Bic TOBAGO (yellow)

I am close to getting my first yak and I popped into A&S Watersports in Exeter today and they have come up with 2 packages that interested me.

One was the Manta Ray 12 (angler) and the other was the Tarpon 120 Angler. They both look bloody great and I just can't decide which one to go for! The Manta is £50 cheaper but that's not overly important.

I want to catch Bass during the summer to start with on comfortable sea conditions.

Any helpful reviews etc would be most appreciated.

Which one for a newbie?

Cheers

Steve

haven't tried the Tarpon but took the Manta Ray 12 for a test paddle last weekend.

It was comfortable and quick for a small boat and very easy to turn ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Manta ray 12 is by far the better yak. If you are less then 100kg there is no better fishing kayak then the Manta12!!!!!

Ask the North Wells kayakers. They have many Mantas in the club.

I tried it at the Exmouth meet and it was brilliant. If I have to go out in choppy sea fishing I definitely prefer the Manta to the Tarpons.

Edited by vlad

Thanks for all the help.

I've checked out some US reviews too and all went for the Manta Ray over the Tarpon too.

So Manta Ray it is!

I'll order it now.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help.

I've checked out some US reviews too and all went for the Manta Ray over the Tarpon too.

So Manta Ray it is!

I'll order it now.

Thanks again.

aright mate yust to let u know im a newbie like urselff and have just had only my second paddel in my new manta ray 12,im a big guy at 6 3" and find it very commfy and stabel and suprisingly fast and easy to paddle for a novice like me, dont think u can go too far wrong with a manta mate love mine so far . ..mark.

I had a Tarpon 120. I haven't tried the MR12 but based on my experience and seeing reports on the MR I would say that whilst the T120 is comfortable, reasonably , stable, it isn't that fast, its heavy and a wet ride. The hatches aren't big enough to be of much use either.

I do like the look of the MR but the metal fittings look crap and those mouldings infront of the seat look bloody pointless to me? I heard that there were some quality issues on a MR that a friend paddled to.

However if the choice was down to only these 2 I would probably go with the MR12.

I do like the look of the MR but the metal fittings look crap and those mouldings infront of the seat look bloody pointless to me? I heard that there were some quality issues on a MR that a friend paddled to.

I have read the same about the metal fittings. Is there any way to replace these with better quality ones?

Cheers

Steve

I have read the same about the metal fittings. Is there any way to replace these with better quality ones?

Cheers

Steve

Hi there Steve,

If you want a paddle just tp get use to your new Yak when you get it try a run down exeter canal to the estary its a good 9 miles there and back with two pubs on the way and makes a good few hours out on flat calm water. Give me a shout if that is what you want to do and I will come along with you.

ChrisW

Hi there Steve,

If you want a paddle just tp get use to your new Yak when you get it try a run down exeter canal to the estary its a good 9 miles there and back with two pubs on the way and makes a good few hours out on flat calm water. Give me a shout if that is what you want to do and I will come along with you.

ChrisW

That sounds like a top idea, cheers Chris!

I should be picking it up this weekend (it's already waiting for me in the shop but I'm waiting for some new 'plastic') so I'll give you a shout once I've sorted all my gear out.

Thanks for the offer again.

Steve