Fishing by push bike

Fenix

...and if the doom merchants are right, and food as well as fuel becomes too expensive for ordinary folk, there is always boiled pike and turnips........

fig7csteeringwasabitheapz5.jpg

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great idea I saw from someone was to just use sticky tape (insulating type stuff) to attach the rod to the frame. This way you don't have to faff around with string etc and other complicated methods of attachment. Just snip it off when you arrive. Obviously you'll have to take a roll with you for the return journey!

A bit wasteful but a nice no-nonsense, hassle-free way of doing it.

I use Reuseable Cable ties absolutely Brilliant invention

For a rod there's always the travel version of the John Wilson Avon/Quiver. Haven't handled it myself, but have both versions of the 'normal' rod. The link below does it for 69 quid. Five sections, breaking down to 2' 6" sounds doable on a bike.

http://www.tackleuk.co.uk/john-wilson-avon...rod-p-4418.html

Edit - just to say sorry for posting something already in the thread. i had missed the second page of posts in my haste to help!!!

Edited by Slyder

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>

Like most of us, I did most of my fishing as a kid by pushbike and don't recall it being a problem. Seat box strapped to a rack behind the seat (well, to be more accurate, wicker basket the same size as a seat box, it was a while ago!) and a rod holdall over head and shoulder resting on the handlebars. I think that the problem is more to do with the impractical nature of modern bikes than anything else!

I admit my holdall wasn't as big as the one I now use in the car, but it certainly had enough room for a few rods, a brolly, net handle and rod rests.

Edited by ColinW

There are other reasons that I fancy going travel or tele, one is that I can stash some bits at work and go for a fish at lunchtime.

Have got the spinner to play with for now, will put another thread up for info on that.

Cheers all

Jon

Sounds like you take a fair bit more gear than me then Neil. I either have lures in small boxes in the pockets of my (well pocketed) shorts, or in my waistcoat. Since I fell in the river I've tried to avoid rucksacks. :-)

It amazes me that you strap your SpinFlex to your crossbar and that your experience of the rod is so different to mine.

I'm very happy with my new St Croix Bass thingy and Daiwa multiplier reel. When I've gone back to a normal rod and multiplier reel it's felt quite coarse. The St Croix set up is useless for smaller spinners and lures though.

MC

I usually carry the rods in a quiver on my shoulder as I think strapping them to the crossbar would end in disaster!

My spinflex gets bashed around quite a bit, rings bend constantly and lacquer on rod is starting to come off but it still goes on!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought myself one of these from Basspro and it has arrived this morning;

Rod carrier

I have just finished fitting it to the left hand side of the front forks on my bicycle, and tried it with a made up spinning rod and reel, as I cycled down the road and back. It is going to be a very well used accessory as I cycle along the Norwich city centre sections of the River Wensum.

Regards from Gareth.

• 3 years later...

Another advert for why you should wear a helmet even if you dont think you will ever fall off. After my sister died of head injurys after falling off a horse with no helmet I have always told people to be careful when riding any kind of bike or horse. It only takes even a small bang to the head to do some serious damage if you arent lucky. She learnt the hard way as did this chap. The mind boggles when you see grown adults riding with their kids on the road and not one is wearing a helmet. What else will cushion the fall if they get knocked off by a car or even just fall onto the curb.

Better to look a tit than get seriously hurt.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Another advert for why you should wear a helmet even if you dont think you will ever fall off. After my sister died of head injurys after falling off a horse with no helmet I have always told people to be careful when riding any kind of bike or horse. It only takes even a small bang to the head to do some serious damage if you arent lucky. She learnt the hard way as did this chap. The mind boggles when you see grown adults riding with their kids on the road and not one is wearing a helmet. What else will cushion the fall if they get knocked off by a car or even just fall onto the curb.

Better to look a tit than get seriously hurt.

Many car drivers / passengers suffer serious head injuries during collisions which could also be avoided by occupants wearing helmets.

(Only problem is that they may then see themselves as F1 drivers and drive accordingly!)

(Interestingly, there is an increased risk of being in a traffic accident when cyclist wear a helmet. It's not certain whether this is a result of 'risk compensation' behaviour of helmeted cyclists, or less care is taken by motorists who see protected cyclists as less vulnerable, or some physical reason such as reduced hearing (owing to increased wind noise), a higher centre of balance, restricted head turning of helmeted cyclists etc.

In most traffic accidents, as opposed to simply falling off, a helmet offers little protection, although it certainly does benefit inexperienced riders and children who are more likely to come off, especially when riding off-road and/or on the pavement.)

ps I always wear a helmet (but not in the car).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust