Fishing by push bike

Fenix

I am quiet lucky that I live close enough to my club waters to get there by push bike, with the river season looming in the near future I fancy leaving the car at home and taking the bike, having a couple of pubs on route also makes the bike rather tempting. Being a relaxed fisherman (ie not very good at the catching of fish side of things) I gravitate more toward mobile float fishing than setting up camp in a fixed location, most of my tackle lives in my waistcoat to aid mobility.

So onto the meat of the question, I have have some of the components for my plan, mainly the bike, centrepin reel, etc. But my current rods are a little on the long side for cycling the country lanes of Kent, I also fancy having a bash at light spinning so possibly a lightweight spinning reel. Lastly some kind of landing net handle, are there any good take down ones out there that will work with my current spoon type net.

After a bit of searching on the world wide wibbly web the Shimano Exage STC series seems to be mentioned fairly often as a good compact travel unit, although I do fancy the simplicity of a telescopic setup.

Cheers

Jon

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get down to aldi'es they have there telescopic rods and landing net and stool/rucksack

http://uk.aldi.com/uk/html/offers/offers_week23sunday08.htm

might not be the best rods but it'd give you the chance to try it out ,then you could get a better rod later .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest Rabbit

Harrison do a superb 1.5 test curve Avon 11' 4 piece. Under the Perrigrine logo, this rod would do for spinning carp, pike, barbel and float fishing too. Its a bit more than the Aldi rods , but this rod is quality and should last a lifetime. The Aldi kit is rubbish...sorry, but they are only good enough for the runner beans. :D

Looking at spending in the £50-100 area on the rod, will have a look at the Harrisom.

Really looking to avoid going the trailor router, will have to carry it all once I get to the other end!!

the Shimano Exage STC series seems to be mentioned fairly often as a good compact travel unit, although I do fancy the simplicity of a telescopic setup.

There is a major disadvantage inbuilt into tele rods - the tip ring and the next ring are too far apart (leads to tip-wrap tangles, in turn leading to high blood pressure <_< ) I used to tape an extra ring on each time I set up, but taking it off again when you pack up is a pain.

I do a lot of travelling, and since the advent of decent multipiece travel rods such as the Exage range (and many others) I have consigned all my tele rods to the dustbin.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Check out the exage spinning rods. Not great as a spinning rod, but it suffices - same as a float rod - same as a ledger rod.

As to landing nets. I agree about the Aldi/Lidl nets. Just the job they are.

Seriously, the exage will do all three jobs reasonably well.

If you're after a straight spinning rod, have a look at the TFO option or if you want a heavier rod, look at the Ocean Master available from RokMax.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Will go Aldi hunting on Sunday for the net, rod wise will give my local shops a bell to see if any of them stock the exage. Time o service the nike and possibly add panniers to it!!

The Aldi brolly looks good, climb aboard your 'nike', open the brolly and hope for a tail wind!

It really is a case, I think, of least is best. If you add panniers then you are tempted to fill 'em. I never have subscribed to the 'take the tackle shop with me when I go angling' syndrome. I know where I am going so I take what I need, not what I might need and know darn well what I won't use. Brolly, no, government surplus poncho. Landing net is a collapsible game type net. Tackle carriers are a well loaded waist coat and a shoulder bag and a simple quiver. Bivvies and pods don't even enter into the equation! In some places I have to push my bike to the bank so I keep the weight off the bike and onto me, I find that best.