Centrepin fishing - float size

The Flying Tench

Did you never have prob's with the vaseline causing the line to stick to the other line or drum on the trott ?

Not so you would notice...sure it gets a bit sticky but its the briefest amount of vaseline I don't smother it. It's not like I am trying to hold my hair down ala 1940 styles...although Brylcream also works and it is slightly less sticky learned that as a youngster back in the days of short back and sides run the line through your hair makes the line float perfectly, with minimal stick.

Everything you do can have problems but I ignore them and just get on with it. Like when I get forgetful and leave the worms for the Perch at home or my sandwiches (which is my favourite forgetfulness trick) so now I always stop on my way fishing and buy a couple of mars or something just in case. The shop in our village opens real early and anyway I always keep a couple in the car now. though sometimes they are getting a bit old...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried Ultima Flo Cast last year thought it was the dogs danglies until caught a couple of fish on it and it started to delaminate so ended up being binned. Have thought about loading my centre pin with braid but thought it would be to severe , playing a large mullet under the rod tip on braid not sure if thats a good idea no give ,but it ticks all the other boxes . Has anyone had experience of playing say large Chub or Barbel close in on braid ?

George you did not say the price of the floats ?

Tried Ultima Flo Cast last year thought it was the dogs danglies until caught a couple of fish on it and it started to delaminate so ended up being binned. Have thought about loading my centre pin with braid but thought it would be to severe , playing a large mullet under the rod tip on braid not sure if thats a good idea no give ,but it ticks all the other boxes . Has anyone had experience of playing say large Chub or Barbel close in on braid ?

I only have braid on 2 reels as I prefer mono especially for close work, its more forgiving - no doubt more experienced braid users will be able to advise better

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

but thought it would be to severe , playing a large mullet under the rod tip on braid not sure if thats a good idea no give ,but it ticks all the other boxes .

I use it for Mullet and have no problems with it.But I put this down to the rod I use being very soft.Its made from a "stepped up" float rod blank and isnt much heavier (in the tip) than a standard match rod.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think i'm like Brian and much prefer mono to braid for trotting, must be a lancashire thing. :D

Not just Lancashire Tigger, but maybe a northern thing. I prefer mono too, good old Bayer Perlon. Been using it since the 60s, and it's never let me down. Tried many other lines, but always come back. If it ain't broke, I won't try to mend it. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I now use braid for all my trotting and have played large chub & a barbel up to 10lbs on it without any problems using a centrepin, Yes braid has no stretch in it but if your fishing correctly your clutch on a fixed spool reel should be set properly and if using a centrepin your thumb is the clutch so you have nothing to fear about a rod breaking or anything like that.

Slitshot You never asked for the price of the floats! you asked for what shotting size they took which I replied to in post 55.

Down to my last Ivan Marks 7 AA Balsa trotter, had a look at your floats George those fluted Balsa on cane or the Cork Chubbers look the part, how much shot do they take ?

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Sorry George for being vague but should of asked both questions at the same time. Won,t use braid on a fixed spool for ledgering after it cost me some big fish a painful lesson but have used it on a pin for ledgering with a fibre glass rod which would bend from tip to butt. Makes me smile when they go on about the new Anti Lock rods when they have been around for donkeys years and where called Fibre Glass Rods .

Bought a spool of Berkley Fireline 0.12mm is this a suitable for float fishing on the pin it,s not the crystal version .

I can suggest using 2 floats: the first to perform the usual functios and the second(a havier one)- to make the pin rotate and make a longer cast.

Sounds alright in theory, BUT - for that longer cast the heavier float will arrive at the water first, trailing the second float, shot and baited hook behind it. Good recipe for a tangle :angry:

The same thing happens with porcupine quills, light tackle and small bait in still water - brilliant for up to a couple of rod-lengths out, but beyond that, the quill, being heavier than the shot, hook and bait arrives first. That is the only disadvantage of the porcupine quill, which is a splendid float in other respects.

For proper control, the bait should enter the water ahead of the float - fundamental. Yes, you can try to feather the cast so the bait hits the water first, but why put up with that handicap when chosing a lighter float to carry the same weight of shot will solve it. Choose the weight first, then the lightest float that will carry it.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...