Centrepin fishing - float size

The Flying Tench

How would that solve the pendulum effect when holding back on a far bank trot Budgie? I’ve only used wagglers on stillwaters attached bottom end only, if there’s another use I’m all ears. :)

You can't really hold backwith a waggler Chris, you more or less have to just run through at the speed of flow. They are usually used for fishing at range and more suited to an open or closed faced reel where it's a case of mending the line andas I said just letting the float trott along at the speed of the flow....as far as I'm aware.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure is Rusty mate! That's what wagglers were developed for! Basically the shotting pattern is set so that one light shot (not to heavy as it will drag to much and constantly snag) trips along the bottom behind the float.The float is then slowed down by this and you dont need to hold the float back with the rod/mainline,So you can fish at current (bottom) speed beyond the rod tip without the float being pulled off line.

Its often said that the "waggler" gets its name from the fact that it hangs of the line (when you cast) by the bottom ring and waggles about!! rubbish! its because it waggles as it makes its way down stream due to the dragging shot.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not quote right Tigger but you are about the closed face reel being a better tool for this job as you are normally casting a bit further and just paying line off freely so no need to "hold back" the pick up system on a closed face being far more positive than the bail arm on a fixed spool.

In fact try and see if you can find a video or something on Utube by a good river match angler (some one like Dave Harral or Ian Heaps who I learned my waggler work from must have something) As a picture paints a thousand words as they say!

In fact try and see if you can find a video or something on Utube by a good river match angler (some one like Dave Harral or Ian Heaps who I learned my waggler work from must have something) As a picture paints a thousand words as they say!

I actually have a dvd of Dave Harrel trotting the waggler , Mrs got it from the £ shop recently. It's called "masters of coarse angling". It's just about river fishing, I think trotting and part two is ledger/feeder fishing.

When I said you can't hold back on the waggler I meant not like with an avon, chubber or stick float. I know about the back shot etc and how you can hold back a very small ammount but in reality it's mainly a case of go with the flow as far as I'm aware and that's why you can fish it at distance and keep a line.

Yes I get what your saying mate but its quite surprising how much a balanced set up can slow it down without repeatedly being dragged under or snagged.

Not seen the DVD you mention but having seen some other stuff of his I should imagine its good. Video/DVD's are definately the best way of seeing how this is all set up and works.

Yes I get what your saying mate but its quite surprising how much a balanced set up can slow it down without repeatedly being dragged under or snagged.

Not seen the DVD you mention but having seen some other stuff of his I should imagine its good. Video/DVD's are definately the best way of seeing how this is all set up and works.

Budgie, i'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs or ewt my friend as I know there's not a lot or nothing I could tell you about angling. A good book is Billy Lanes enyclopedia of float fising and the revised edition is even better. Allan Haines "the complete book of float fishing" is another good un describing floats and their particular uses. Most of my knowlage isn't through reading books though, it's through trial as error as i've grown up. Actually I think it's the best way of learning as it sinks in better.

No totally agree.Ive not read the Haines book but despite being old the Billy Lane book is still possibly the float anglers bible.

In the 70's it became a very popular tactic on the Warcs Avon to actually fish the far bank with a waggler set at half depth and shotted to fish on the drop for the chub that in them days were the main target species in matches.Kind of causes confusion as to how a waggler should/could/is intended to be fished.

The main problem with trying to beat the pendulum effect at far bank is the line in use and the length of the rod, not the float.

Trotting line should be a floating line but some throw any line on hoping it will do and in most cases it does but if your fishing far bank you need to have the line lying on top of the water so it is easy mended and use the longest rod possible in your armoury, I always use a 16ft rod for my general medium river work.

I have read all of Billy Lane's books and as budgie quite rightly says they are probably the best books out there even though they have aged the tackle is still the same and the techniques are still the same.

The float does come into it and a lot of people are using inadequate or should I say incorrect floats for the conditions, why? because they like the feel of them and are comfortable with them. If you had to ask some anglers to put a waggler onto the far bank and trot with it they would laugh at you, but it can be done and is deadly in the correct conditions, but how many river anglers change floats on a days fishing to suit the conditions...not many unless your static for your full session so you adapt & overcome, and rightly so.

There is no hard & fast rule you take each swim as it comes but unless you go prepared with at least a few different types of floats and not just the ones you think will do then when it doesnt go your way.....think to yourself have I got the correct float, line for the job.... :headhurt:

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Guest bbamboo

I have just finished making these

floats-1.jpg

They turned out slightly more heavy than I wanted

Made because last week on the River Tees with the river in flood trotting for grayling I could not see the tip at distane, so made some Avons with thicker tips for blind people like me. Thanks to George for giving me a master float to copy.

Gary

Edited by bbamboo