Bread...is it any crack?

Andy Macfarlane

I hear it makes a good sandwich...hehe.I know Roach anglers use it all the time and Chubbers and Carpers are quite partial to a bit and Mr.Roskilly is an advocate for Mullet fishing but what of Trout for instance?...The villiage elders swear by it.Do any of you have any thoughts on bread as a bait and what fish will have a go?

[ 10 June 2002, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

the local trout would kill for bread ,we used to catch so many we started putting them back as we got fed up eating them ,the other bank was leased to a fly angling club ,i have never heard such words come from the mouths of so called wealthy patrons ,in particular was the "f" word it does not sound as good with a plum in ones mouth :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Why do you think trout anglers use artificial flies?

It's cos trout are so stupid they can be caught on anything, and they do love a bit of bread.

Andy,

Bread has to be one of the best baits available to any angler.

Just to show you, I have not long come home from a night session and using 4 rods with one on boilies, one on pellet, one on meat and the other on plain old sliced bread, guess which caught all the fish??

Yep the bread, a Chub of 5lb 4oz and a Golden Orfe of 6lb 2oz. Fair enough I had one run on the Boilie but it dropped off after a few seconds but it goes to show never to disregard teh old baits.

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

I thought only poachers use bread for trout. Mine do anyway. Very difficult to catch and release under sized fish when they have swallowed the hook.

Op -JB, hooked squarely in the lip.

OP-JB - if you want to mostly prevent the deep hooking, I have had great luck with either a small circle or a kahle pattern hook.

Gamakatsu makes the Octopus Circle which is a micro-barb hook but only to size 8.

Mustad makes a kahle pattern (the call it a "wide gap") from 6/0 down to #20 in bronze. Looks like

mustad-37160.gif

Strange shapes for both hooks I know but they do an excellent job of lip hooking even with fish that like to swollow a hook to about the tail. They normally just refuse to stick until they reach the ridge of the lip.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt,

I'm not so sure that these circle hooks would be allowed on some fisheries here. They are not dissimilar to the "bent hook" that was all the rage a few years back for Carp fishing.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Steve - near as I can tell the only consistant UK meaning/classification for "bent hook" is one where the point aims at or inside the eye. In that case, these are not (except for the #18 ).

And these are a kahle pattern rather than circle which, with the inward bend of the tip, would certainly fall within the "bent hook" category.

And even so, since prevention of fish damage was the idea behind the bent hook ban, the issue probably should be revisited since the circle and kahle hooks are to my mind much easier on the fish. I think lip hooks with species that otherwise tend to deep hook is a good thing regardless of the hook design that brings it about.

Although the mustad hooks pictured here have way too much barb for my taste and would for sure do better with it crushed down. I can't find anyone making this pattern below a #6 who don't do a serious barb.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President