Bite Indication

Elton

I think that they'll be a lot of varied answers to this one, with everyone having their favourites.

For me any bite indicator has got to show both pulls and slack line bites. This disqualifies a number of indicators and I'd almost go as far as saying these should be banned. If slack line bites aren't indicated you'll miss them, and more importantly the fish stands a good chance of being deeply hooked.

I assume that the question refers to ledgering so won't mention floats. On rivers I usually use either a quivertip or, better still if I expect to get bites quickly, I touch ledger. Just in case some don't know what this means it's feeling for bites - and I reckon that, except when bitterly cold, my fingers are more sensitive than any bite indicator from a tackle shop. Touch ledgering also means that I can very easily read the bottom of the river. It takes a little while to master but is very well worth the effort.

When predator fishing and also on slow flowing rivers and on stillwaters I'll use either a bobbin or, when expecting runs, a Swinger. My favourite bobbin is Alan Pearce's Ringle, which doesn't need clipping to the line and so shows bites almost immediately after casting. It also allows me to twitch a bait and again see a bite straightaway.

The swinger I prefer is the Fox Pike model, even for carping. I clip this to the rear rod rest which allows me to fish either open bail arm or with the Baitrunner on. The former is important when fishing for predators, especially perch, as it minimises resistance. The sliding weight also allows the Pike Swinger to be adjusted to cope with strong undertows or currents, and can also be set behind the balance point so that's there's almost zero resistance.

The other advantage of fitting a Swinger to the rear rod rest is that you can stay well back from the water's edge - which can be vital when fishing the margins.

So can someone tell me why carp anglers almost invariably attach their indicators to the front rest. Am I missing something as I can't see any advantage?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using a cheap ,efficient bite indicator for years, a couple are always in my fishing jacket pocket, are adjustable for weight, and show drop back as well as pull bites.

What is it? a squeezy bottle top, the sort of washing up bottle top which has the pop-on resealable top attatched to the pouring neck by a length of plastic. the bottle top is snapped over the line between the butt and second ring, allowed to tighten on the drop. When a bite is indicated and the fish on, the indicator is left the line during playing the fish, but removed during casting.

How is it variable for different line strengths, flow etc, push a stone in the end that used to be in the bottle. The only problem, finding the correct bottle top, as newer type washing up bottles use a different type of top. I have no idea where to get more when my small supply runs out. Very simple, and after all, an alectronic alarm only lets you fish without watching your tackle.

Is there anyone out there know where squeezy bottle tops can still be found,

dave e

Cheap you want cheap,

:D why not mould a clump of bread paste, even cheaper a clump of mud around the line between reel and first ring, a run and it drops off, a drop back and it sinks to the ground, oh for the good old day's :D

yes sqeezy bottle tops are still available :D but they are now pukka bite indicators ,the difference you have to buy them and they have a bung in the botton so you can use a isotope ,amazed to see them in my tackle shop :D:D:D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 6 years later...
I think that they'll be a lot of varied answers to this one, with everyone having their favourites.

For me any bite indicator has got to show both pulls and slack line bites. This disqualifies a number of indicators and I'd almost go as far as saying these should be banned. If slack line bites aren't indicated you'll miss them, and more importantly the fish stands a good chance of being deeply hooked.

I assume that the question refers to ledgering so won't mention floats. On rivers I usually use either a quivertip or, better still if I expect to get bites quickly, I touch ledger. Just in case some don't know what this means it's feeling for bites - and I reckon that, except when bitterly cold, my fingers are more sensitive than any bite indicator from a tackle shop. Touch ledgering also means that I can very easily read the bottom of the river. It takes a little while to master but is very well worth the effort.

When predator fishing and also on slow flowing rivers and on stillwaters I'll use either a bobbin or, when expecting runs, a Swinger. My favourite bobbin is Alan Pearce's Ringle, which doesn't need clipping to the line and so shows bites almost immediately after casting. It also allows me to twitch a bait and again see a bite straightaway.

The swinger I prefer is the Fox Pike model, even for carping. I clip this to the rear rod rest which allows me to fish either open bail arm or with the Baitrunner on. The former is important when fishing for predators, especially perch, as it minimises resistance. The sliding weight also allows the Pike Swinger to be adjusted to cope with strong undertows or currents, and can also be set behind the balance point so that's there's almost zero resistance.

The other advantage of fitting a Swinger to the rear rod rest is that you can stay well back from the water's edge - which can be vital when fishing the margins.

So can someone tell me why carp anglers almost invariably attach their indicators to the front rest. Am I missing something as I can't see any advantage?

Hi Steve,

Can you please give me contact details for Alan Pearce so I can purchase some ringle bite indicators from him.

Many thanks,

John.

John.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Here you go, ladies and gents - let's see some good answers to help this angler:

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Being fairly new to fishing, I was wondering wether you could advice me on a particular bite indicator system. I've been fishing a pit with a lead with some success, watching the line for takes but I'm missing more than I'm hitting. I was told to use a monkey climber system but don't seem to be able to get hold of one. Someone also said fox do some great bobbins? Are there any other techniques you could advise me on?

I look forward to here from you soon.

Much Appreciated. </font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

For the type of fishing that you do it may be worth looking at the Polaris Sidewinder. Fairly inexpensive and easy to use. Can be st up to show both positive takes and drop backs. Have a look at the site below and look at the step by step guide. Theyare excellent.

http://www.polaristackle.com/zencart/index...0d9e0a819324111