Where are you?

Gary Foster

What ever happened to Jack Hargreaves?

I remember watching him with my dad on TV years and years ago. He used to get on a kids programme called "HOW" and he also had a more adult programme in the evening. I can remember he once made a rod in his shed out of an old tennis raquet and some bamboo.

Do any of you remember Jack? or did I dream it?

I'm not so sure it would - so many kids these days have so little interest in country matters that they'd just think it was boring. I saw an article in the paper last week about a survey that had revealed that 60% of infants didn't even now that eggs come from chickens. One kid even thought that orange juice came from cows because it was delivered by the milkman!! These days I think a lot of kids know more about the wildlife of Africa than they do about the wildlife that's all around them. I was working in an office last year where the majority were in their early twenties. We were in an office that backed onto a wood and there was a lot of bird life around and I was absolutely stunned that most of them didn't have the faintest idea what species most of the birds were, not even the simple ones like blue tits, chaffinches etc. Robin, starling, magpie, crow & pigeon was about as far as their knowledge went and it's not like they were inner-city people - they lived in a small town in Berkshire!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.