Siemens Gigaset SE587 wireless router

I have one of these that I got free from Tiscali and have tried in vain for hours to set the damned thing up. I can't even get it to work via the ethernet cable and keep getting a message saying that the cable isn't connected, even when it is.

There are some instructions for setting it up manually by typing http://192.168.1.1. into the browser, but unless I'm being exceptionally stupid, how the hell do you connect to that address BEFORE you have set the router up??? I have tried to get to that address via my old broadband modem, but it fails to recognise it.

The Tiscali "Helpdesk" in India suggested that my computer was broken!

Any sensible ideas please? I have tried running the installation CD with both AVG and Zone Alarm turned off. :wallbash:

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

The address given doesn't take you to a web page, it takes you to the set up pages of the router, so you don't need to be connected to the internet to make it work. Obviously you do have to be connected to the router though, you say the ethernet cable doesn't appear to work, have you tried more than one cable? It could be as simple as a faulty cable.

The address given doesn't take you to a web page, it takes you to the set up pages of the router, so you don't need to be connected to the internet to make it work. Obviously you do have to be connected to the router though, you say the ethernet cable doesn't appear to work, have you tried more than one cable? It could be as simple as a faulty cable.

I suppose it could be, but after doing a bit of research, it seems there are loads of people with exactly the same problem. The system info says there's nothing wrong with the ethernet card.

Also, I recently upgraded from 2Mb to 8Mb Tiscali Max. According to one website, being as I live almost spitting distance from the exchange, I should expect speeds of around 6Mb. I am actually getting between 1.3Mb and 1.5Mb at the moment.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Hi Peter,

Under internet connections how many lan connections do you have? Try to disable then enable each one- one at a time. You may not be using the right local area connection. Then have a look HERE. I don't want to have to rewrite it. If you have any questions PM me. The cd is just there as a wizard to assist with the set up. You don't really need it.

Added: Have a look here as well. Three pages of various issues with this particular gem.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Hi Peter,

Under internet connections how many lan connections do you have? Try to disable then enable each one- one at a time. You may not be using the right local area connection. Then have a look HERE. I don't want to have to rewrite it. If you have any questions PM me. The cd is just there as a wizard to assist with the set up. You don't really need it.

Added: Have a look here as well. Three pages of various issues with this particular gem.

Thanks Jeff, but it turned out that the ethernet cable was faulty, as I eventually managed to establish a wireless connection. A bit pointless really, as the router is right next to the PC. The main reason for wanting to use a router is that I thought it would give me better connection speeds, but it doesn't, especially as I found out that there is a software upgrade fpr the Speedtouch modem.

It's very hard to draw conclusions though. I was getting download speeds of over 4Mb with the modem, but barely 1Mb with the router. Then I switched back to the router and found that it was now getting only 1.5Mb. It looks as if Tiscali can be very variable.

Hi Peter, sometimes the simplest solutions are the easiest to try before jumping in with both feet. You should thank Jeeps :) It was his suggestion. Glad you figured it out though.

Variable in speed probably depends on the subscribers in your area.. Its a shame they can't guarantee a speed instead of "offers up to 8MB"

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

It turned out that it wasn't a faulty cable after all. In fact it was so complicated that I can only refer you to this link, which goes through the whole sorry tale.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/showthread...974#post2003974

You'll have to guess who I am.

• 1 month later...
Its a shame they can't guarantee a speed instead of "offers up to 8MB"
This 'up to XMB' phrase causes all sorts of misunderstandings, with many non-IT savvy subscribers complaining that they are not getting the 'full 8MB that they paid for' when in fact they have paid for no such thing,

The issue is that if you are on ADSL MAX you will get UP to 8Mb, but the connection speed and the throughput that you get is not deterministic, there is NO WAY for anyone to calculate what speed you will get until one actually connects, the further that one is from the exchange, the more the signal from the DSLAM in the exchange is attenuated, the lower the speed the subscriber gets.

Another issue is that BT (who run the superstructure) try to deliver a nice clean signal down the twisted pair that carries ADSL/POTS into the residence, however many houses in the UK have rats nests of bodged up internal phone wiring, done with cheap cable and no understanding of how the system should be wired.

For example, when we got ADSL put in I could not connect at much more than 2MBPS and actual throughput was more like 1MB. On investigation I discovered that on every extension and at the BT master socket post 3 had the green/white wire connected. This is wrong, post 3 was used in the past to carry the ring signal from the BT Master socket to extensions so that the phone would ring. The phone would work fine without it, it would just not ring. New phones don't need this, and older phones will get it from the ADSL filter. The problem with this is that this 3rd wire acts like a big antenna, picking up any electromagnetic mush from the environment and this gets fed into your modem/router. This in turn means that the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) goes down the plug hole and your ADSL connection speeds plummet.

I now connect at about 5.6 and my throughput is nearly always between 2.5-3.5 which is reasonable, acceptible given the distance I am from the exchange.

Another thing that many do not realise is that EVERY phone extension that has a POTS device attached NEEDS to have a filter, not just the socket that has the modem or router.

I'll spell that one out again, just so that everyone gets it. EVERY socket in your house that has a phone/fax/sky box/dial up modem MUST have a filter not just the socket with your ADSL modem/router. If you do not do this your broadband connection will be flaky and unreliable because of the interference they cause on the line.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• 3 months later...

Seems that a few people have struggled with this router, as this thread keeps appearing in my search engine stats!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

According to one website, being as I live almost spitting distance from the exchange, I should expect speeds of around 6Mb. I am actually getting between 1.3Mb and 1.5Mb at the moment.

Several months ago, when AOL upgraded my service to 8mb (for free), I was actually getting lower than the 2mb I was on before.

Fearing an admin CU, when I spoke to them, they said that the change had been done but that it would take several days for the increased speed to stabilise, and to call back if it hadn't within a week (BS?).

The day before I was due to give them another call, I was getting much higher speeds :)

A couple of times since, the speed has dropped considerably, and dropped out altogether, which I assume was connected with off-peak work being done at the exchange (usually on a Sunday), but the following day has been back to normal.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust