Pike fishing from a boat on rivers

spamhill

Another one I need guidence on. My mate has a boat and we're planning to do a bit of Pike fishing this summer from it. Where do we stand when we fish stretches of river controlled by angling clubs as opposed to free stretches.

Thanks Steve

They are harder to catch up North

If the river is non tidal you may not even be allowed on it. However, is it a tidal river? If it is, and you are not a sportsman, you can probably fish from your boat. Perhaps you can't moor to the bank though, or anchor to the riverbed.

Is it in the spirit of the sport to fish another angler's water?

The solution might be to willingly join the club .

[ 06. June 2005, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

How did I get dragged into this? :confused:

I never even mentioned the CA :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Its difficult to give you a straight answer Steve. The rules change from one area to another and the interpretation of the rules is fuzzy to say the least.

I blame King John for not including some clarification of land ownership in respect of fishing rights when he signed the Magna Carta in 1215 and when Tony Bliar becomes King, he has promised FACT that he'll seek their advise in rewriting that document :)

Things to note Steve, when boat fishing in an area controlled by a club or riparian owner.

Whats usually leased (or owned) is the land and its access including the river bed up to halfway (if the club only has fishing rights on one side)

That means that you are technically trespassing if you tie up to the bank or even drop anchor on their side of the river. If you drift or motor through without stopping you may fish, although you may only troll lures/baits if the local river authority allow....not all of them do.

You will of course risk the wrath of any bank fishermen who will feel somewhat cheated by your actions and several catapults full of maggots aimed at your boat as you drift through their lines is always on the cards, as is something heavier.

If you're fishing big rivers...thames....tyne... avon you'll get away with it just by keeping out of everyones way. If you make a habit of doing it on some of the smaller rivers you might find the local bailiffs will find a way of stopping you or at least making your life uncomfortable.

Best stick to tidal stretches where all fishing is free or if you have a 'must fish' stretch of club water in mind, then approach the club with a view to joining. Their annual fee might be chickenfeed and its never worth p...ing everyone off just to save a paltry few quid.

You'll also find that even the most popular fishing areas whilst crammed full of bank fisherman and matchmen at weekends... are usually pretty much empty on weekdays.

[ 07. June 2005, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Due to the differences in Laws, here in Germany, I will say this. On a River, as long as you have a permit for that streach of water, you are fine. If the water is a Private compound, you will not be there anyway! Most of the waters do not allow boats on them. On our waters in Haasfurt, it is not permitted. On the water in Mainsondheim, you are allowed only in one portion. Would I fish from a boat for Pike/Hecht, YES! Do I at this point, NO as I do not have one. Advantages are many and you must not debate the subject. If it is OK, by all means do it!!!!!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

The river in question is the river Tees a large river and the area I'd like to fish is the former Tidal water, which still has free stretches. I say former as there is now a superb Barrage on the Tees which has turned the lower river into one of the best in the country. I regularly see others fishing from boats, like today in close season!!!! I would probably be limiting it to evening sessions though. It just seems to be the Ideal way to get at those overgrown unaproachable swims which may just hold a fish or two. Role on the 16th.

While I'm on, how effective is deadbaiting in the summer months. I'm usually a winter piker and course fisherman come summer but I'm well and truly taken with old Esox nowerdays.

Give your local Environment Agency a call and tell them about your plans...see what they say.

[ 07. June 2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

Do you work for the E.A Argyl ?????

Your interpretation is just as the guy told me on the phone. The only other thing he said was that the boat has to have a craft licence/Registration, which this one has.

Any tips on boat fishing rivers for pike will be welcome.

Ta Steve

My tips would be:

Always wear a bouyancy aid not matter how good a swimmer you are.

Take an unhooking mat.

And a torch in case it takes longer than you think to pack up.

I would suggest float ledgering, perhaps with a slightly popped up bait. I like mackerel the best as a deadbait because it is so oily, and thick skinned so the trebbles stick in nicely.

Don't know about the rules there but livebaiting could be a good idea if deads bring no success. Take a waggler rod and livebait with what you catch, as you know that will be part of the pike's diet.

Whilst haveing floats off one end of the boat, you any your friend could take it in turns for one to watch floats and the other to try spinners, shads and plugs off the other side.

Good luck mate and be safe.

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I dont work for them Steve, but in spite of their failings they can occasionally be helpful if you know who to contact. My boat's on the Thames so I've been through it all.

As for catching pike from a boat, where do you want me to start? Get geared up. Make sure that you have a decent anchor and line and bouyancy aids that work. You need an unhooking mat, long nosed pliers, mobile phone and if you're out after dark some form of emergency lighting. You will one day be also glad that you packed a first aid kit.

Keep it simple. Your fish are going to be in the edge not out in the middle and if you're drifting close throwing lures, then they'll be right under your rod tip most of the time. Pike get used to boat traffic very quickly and wont be at all spooked by the presence of your boat. Dont use tackle that too light. If you're fishing tight into weed and tree roots then you want to stand a half chance of pulling free if you get tangled...at least 50lb braid. Bait fishing open water.....then 30lb braid or 15lb mono will do. If you are going to fish tidal stretches, make a note of the state of the tide when you catch. Some spots do well on the ebb some on the flow. If you're bait fishing try a mix of deadbaits.... freshwater and saltwater. Freshwater baits ONLY work on my home stretch. On a norfolk river that I fish frequently, herring do the trick. You need to experiment. Best of luck. Just nine days to go.