ACA Mag. Bailey's piece???

slodger

Anyone read John Bailey's piece in the ACA's latest mag?

Am I alone in wondering why he bothers getting involved with angling? I reckon he'd make just about the most convincing tool I've ever seen deployed by the antis.

Great writer..... terrible attitude!!

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A typical example of a lesson not learn't!

Alienate the match fishermen by deploring the use of keepnets and bagging up.

Further alienate the pike fishing fraternity by knocking treble hooks and livebaits, remembering Bob James ill timed comments on livebaiting when he was in the ACA.

Alienate the carpers by knocking longstay sessions and their traditional photo sessions.

But, just maybe, he has a point or two.

Heaven save the ACA if he becomes President!

Actually, that isn't altogether uncommon practice on catch & kill trout waters.

After Bob Jame's famous faux pas re livebaits I find it next to incredible that he has made similar comments.

[ 04. October 2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Peter Waller:

A typical example of a lesson not learn't!

Alienate the match fishermen by deploring the use of keepnets and bagging up.

Further alienate the pike fishing fraternity by knocking treble hooks and livebaits, remembering Bob James ill timed comments on livebaiting when he was in the ACA.

Alienate the carpers by knocking longstay sessions and their traditional photo sessions.

But, just maybe, he has a point or two.

Heaven save the ACA if he becomes President!

And here's me, only just rejoined after a longish lay-off, not in my name but that of a girlfriend's eight-and-three-quarter-year-old (she'd want you all to know that) daughter...

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

'Our Mister Bailey is the only fly in the ointment, not that he hasn't got a point, maybe.'

Blimey Peter! You ever considered a career in politics?

..... those fence palings must be damned uncomfortable.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I haven't read John Bailey's article, but based on the comments made by others:

I agree with him regarding livebaiting - its perception by the non-angling public - and indeed, by many anglers (including myself) - is that it is cruel. Furthermore, it will prove to be a gift to the antis when they finally get their act together.

I agree with him about keepnets. They are demonstrably bad for fish welfare, especially when used to hold a relatively large catch. Bream and roach, particularly, suffer in keepnets.

I don't, however, agree with him about treble hooks and pike. Small trebles (size 8 maximum) are less likely to penetrate an essential organ than are the large singles that are sometimes used an an alternative.

I agree with him about long-stay carp anglers, especially when they "stitch up" key areas for protracted periods of time.

I agree with him about those photo-sessions when the fish is kept out of water for far too long. Dangerous, too, are multi-catch pictures (yes, I was guilty of it many years ago, but at least I've learned from my mistakes). I find it difficult enough to control one large fish, let alone two or more.

It seems, then, that John Bailey has his supporters, as well as his detractors...