ACA Mag. Bailey's piece???

slodger

Here's the letter I wrote. Perhaps you could check it for me Sporty for any grammatical faux pas I may have committed? :rolleyes:

(A joke, just a joke....)

Re: Proposed legislation on the use of live fish as bait.

Dear Mr. Dunkley,

Following the fisheries forum held near Perth on the 4th of February this year, I am writing to urge that before allowing inappropriate legislation to be levied on Scottish predator anglers, you consider carefully the work of Prof James D. Rose and the scientific conclusions that he has arrived at regarding the subject of sentience in fish.

Prof. Rose has undertaken extensive work in this field and all of his data points towards the fact that fish are unable to feel pain. Knowledge of this is key to the case in favour of allowing the use of live fish as bait to continue.

It is my belief that the case made by Prof. Peter Maitland, against this age old practise at the same forum was based on irrelevant emotive thought processes, that fail hopelessly to take into account scientific facts for which there is overwhelming evidence.

As a responsible angler I applaud the efforts that are being made to prevent illegal stockings of alien species into waters where they do not naturally occur. No right-minded angler would wish to see any threat posed to existing, and in some cases rare, loch or lakeland species.

Furthermore I think the majority of informed predator anglers realise that this very sensitive associated problem requires serious consideration. However it is surely both unfair and unnecessary to apply blanket legislation against an innocent and hitherto legitimate body of people in an attempt to prevent these crimes against the environment from occurring?

All that is being asked by the angling community is that sensible measures be levelled. A rigid degree of control regarding the movements of live fish is both expected and welcomed by us. Appropriate legislation has seemed to work well in England and Wales, the Section 30 permit being a successful model to hold up.

When you consider the historical importance of angling, and the educating benefits that this natural, absorbing and inoffensive pastime has bestowed upon generations of young people, I hope you would agree that it is vital that it’s future longevity is upheld.

All any angler, myself included, would ask is that due consideration is given to any proposed legislative measures that may affect our sport.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slodger, I think I see where you are coming from, so no problem, but...maybe I am being hypocritical, maybe I am just "going soft" in my old age :D But I can't help my feelings and my right to express them.

I have questioned myself about continuing to fish, but as I catch so few these days (one a week if I am lucky) then any ethical issues do not bother me.

The deliberate sacrificing of a live creature, a creature which we profess to admire, simply to further our enjoyment, is definitely questionable, and in my case, found wanting, so I do not do it.

Others feel differently.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark:

The deliberate sacrificing of a live creature, a creature which we profess to admire, simply to further our enjoyment, is definitely questionable, and in my case, found wanting, so I do not do it.

Others feel differently.

Den

Well put, a sound opinion.

Mr Nice, Before I put pen to paper I would appreciate a little more info please, who or what are pushing for a ban on live-baiting in Scotland? How long has this process been going on? How far has the proposal gone? I find this very disturbing news and as you quite rightly state "It is the thin end of a large wedge" I write this having NEVER live-baited/dead-baited in my life, nor do I intend to, but I realise how significant such a ban will be to ALL anglers.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]