Centrepins

P@UL

Uh oh think I'll upset some here but here goes! Personally I don't like them but then I'm spoiled my first one was an Adcock Stanton! These now cost about £100! I can't fault the Adcock! The leeds ones however are much more reasonably priced! However the ones I've played with were very rattley and didn't run well at all. I know I know not everyone has £100 to throw around!

Anyway thats what I think but I do know quite a few people here do use the Leeds ones so sit tight and I'm sure they'll say I'm talking b******s but as I say the only one I've seen I didn't like but perhaps now they are better?

I think Paulg may have something to say on this thread - he's 'struggled' with a Leeds for a couple of years and in the last week is now the proud owner of the said Stanton a snip at £110. Yes 45 quid is very cheap - but it's money down the drain if it's no good.

Me? I use a Youngs Purist - a lovely reel

but it wasn't cheap (it WAS a lovely birthday present a year or so back :D )

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I have a Leeds and an Adcock Stanton(amongst others) the Adcock Stanton under normal conditions is useless on the Stour but perfect on the Avon,the Leeds works fine on the Stour,the difference being the weight of the drum,the Stanton has a heavy one which needs a good flow to keep it moving. :cool:

Depends I suppose on how often you're planning on using it and what for. I bought a Leeds a few years ago as I was only intending on using it a couple of times a year and couldn't justify spending big money on such a 'luxury' item. It served its purpose just fine but you had to get your line/rig weight right & matching the flow and it was a fairly narrow window for it to work properly.

Now I have a Browning Revolver which I used for the first time on the Grayling day. The difference is that I'd feel more confident using the Revolver in more situations than I would the Leeds. It's more forgiving if you have the tackle balance not quite right and it just generally feels better to use.

So the Leeds will do the job, but if it's something you intend to use regularly or something you want to last a lifetime then I think it's better to save up a bit and splash out on the real deal :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

As Chris has mentioned, I have been using a Leeds for the last three years, and really struggled with it. Could be that I had a bad one, but it would never spin very freely, and the idea of the progress of a float downstream making the reel spin.....not a chance. This was even after taking the thing to pieces and putting the bearing race in my electric drill for 20 minutes at 3000 rpm ! It did improve, but still not to make it a decent trotting reel. Having said that, I have spoken to other Leeds owners who have been happy with theirs.

I have now bought an Adcock Stanton, used once so far, and it is wonderful ! Much lighter than the Leeds, spins forever, and even the slightest flow will set the reel spinning. Before I bought it, I spoke to Cliff Adcock, as some of the early Stantons had problems with lack of free spinning, as well as very loud ratchets. He advised that the reel has been changed slightly, and the current versions are much improved. A superb reel.

My advice would be to save up a bit longer, you say the Leeds is 45 pounds, and I paid 110 pounds for the Stanton, this is the 4.5 inch diameter, with ratchet and adjustable drag, okay so just over twice the price, but from the experiences I have had, well worth the extra money.

HTH,

Paul

P@UL:

Thanks, I think I'll just save untill I can afford a good one rather than buying a cheap one then regreting it.

P@UL

Yup - reckon your right - 'the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten'

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog