A good smelly cheese paste??

macca29

Any of you good fellas and Ladies got a recipefor a good smelly cheese paste??

The one Ive tried a few times keeps falling off the hook at each cast, or it wont freeze properly.

I ideally want to make a batch, freeze it and take it out when im going to use it.

The smellier the better I think.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

macca29:

Any of you good fellas and Ladies got a recipefor a good smelly cheese paste??

The one Ive tried a few times keeps falling off the hook at each cast, or it wont freeze properly.

I ideally want to make a batch, freeze it and take it out when im going to use it.

The smellier the better I think.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Macca

I use one from angling times.  Mix equal Danish blue and stilton, add teaspoon of powdered red food colouring (apprarently makes it fish better than yellow!!?)mash up to a pulp and then spread the mixture onto that frozen pastry the wife buys from the supermarket in square packets.  Nead it all together and eventually you will get red cheesepaste which freezes well and the only problem being getting the red food colouring off your hands and the kitchen.

Andy

Cheers

If you want it smelly then don't bother to freeze it.

Seriously, I use cheesepaste a lot in wintertime and never freeze it,I make one big lump in late autumn and just keep adding to it through the winter.

I also use the pastry method and iirc I use the proportions as follows:--

8oz cheddar

4oz danish blue or similar

4oz frozen pastry mix

colouring optional--- I favour yellow or orange

flavouring ---- also optional-- but I normally use a little blue cheese flavour to counterract the plainness of the pastry.

I second aswhi

That's exactly what I do,you can also add some parmisan to it aswell and try and keep it as cool as possible :cool: on the bank cos it will sweat. It re-freezes quite well too. :)

Hi Macca,

All the previously mentioned recipes are

spot on for cheese paste,but if you want

a REALLY smelly one then go to a good Carp

bait shop and ask for a bottle of Butyric

Acid. It is an additive in a small bottle

and the smell is strong enough to knock a

fly off a cows backside!! DO NOT OPEN IT

IN YOUR OWN HOUSE! Or anywhere north of

Watford as I live in Bolton.

Inside every old person is a young one wondering what the hell happened!

The way I've always done it is to add an amount of white bread to the cheese (crusts removed obviously), the amount being something you need to experiment with. As you're going for maximum smell/flavour you'd need to use as little bread as is necessary. It takes some time to kneed the bread into the cheese until it completely blended in. What you don't want is a mixture with patches of bread flake in. Keep pulling the ball apart to check the mixture whilst you kneed it. There maybe better ways of making up cheese paste (and I'm open to criticism) and perhaps the guys who have spent more time fishing with the bait can see disadvantages but it's simple and I've always caught really well with it and by golly it stays on the hook like glue. You can use it down to pretty small hook sizes also though I've always used it as a big fish bait. Mould the paste around the hook just about hiding all but the point in a pear shaped blob. I then give the bait a dip in the water and smear the suface a little just to bind it that little bit more before casting out.

The main point to remember however you make it up is to blend it well - if in doubt kneed it again! You don't want to "cracks" in the mixture as this is where it will obviously break up.

Having said all of that, some might think I'm talking out of my bum here but it's worked well for me! :)

[ 19 June 2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Waterman ]

All depends on the species you're targeting really, I've always used a big ol' lump on something like an 8 upwards if I'm going for tench or chub etc. You don't have to worry too much about how much point is showing as it is such a soft bait and the hook will pull through really easily upon striking. I usually have it so that the point is almost hidden.

The size of the hook simply needs to be in balance with the size of the ball of paste you're using.

[ 19 June 2002, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Waterman ]

I have a feeling that mixing it with bread will be preferable in warmer weather.

A fool proof way to make bread paste to mix with the cheese is to take some proper bread,(not the cottonwool stuff) slice roughly about an inch thick and cut the crusts off.Now leave it to go bone dry (in the airing cpbd for a couple of days if you like).When it's dry just dip it in water briefly and then crumble it and you will find it rubs into a perfect paste.

The pastry cheese paste should be soft enough that you don't need to leave the hook point out,(don't know about the bread mix but I suspect it will be the same)I normally use hooks between 10s and 2s but normally a size six Kamasan wide gape jobby.Mostly I will use hookbaits of about 20mm dia.but will go bigger or smaller as necessary.

Now if you want something different again a heavily loaded peanut butter sandwich mashed into a paste makes an excellent quick bait.