A good smelly cheese paste??

macca29

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bringing this back to the top, as it seems to get quite a bit of interest.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Just bringing this back to the top, as it seems to get quite a bit of interest.

Elton, I meant to do this last year but never got around to it - I'm about to make up my first batch of the year and can do a step by step photo article thing for the main site if you like?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Elton, I meant to do this last year but never got around to it - I'm about to make up my first batch of the year and can do a step by step photo article thing for the main site if you like?

Sounds good to me. Just don't go posting me samples! :D

Wurzel, the commercial fisherman cum angler who posts mainly in the politics forum, has a ball of paste permanently in his pocket (even when we're cod fishing). I keep meaning to have a word with him about the smell...

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Sounds good to me. Just don't go posting me samples! :D

I can't promise that ;)

As it leads nicely into small river chubbing, I could do you one on that too if you're interested. Now the nights are pulling in it's nice to do a bit of writing again.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I can't promise that ;)

As it leads nicely into small river chubbing, I could do you one on that too if you're interested. Now the nights are pulling in it's nice to do a bit of writing again.

Any articles are always gratefully received :)

One of the problems with using pastry can be the hard fat content, when it drops into the water it can go harder, especially this time of year, getting in the way of a proper hook hold. I used to use soft margarine and flour added to the softish blueish mix of cheeses, also added a little vintage cheese for flavour/ smell. Also, tried some of the "smelly cheese" flavourings, never again, took ages to get the smell off my hands :yucky:

If I was to use it again, it would try it with a short hair, so the hook would always be unmasked, wrap the paste around a ledger stop or spring, could even use a mixture of hard vintage and soft blue without any additives, dip it in cold water so it goes solid before casting, well maybe

One of the problems with using pastry can be the hard fat content, when it drops into the water it can go harder, especially this time of year, getting in the way of a proper hook hold. ......................................................................

................................................................................

..........could even use a mixture of hard vintage and soft blue without any additives,

You won't have a problem with it going hard if you use a shortcrust pastry mix in the right proportions, puff pastry does have a higher fat content and could potentially cause a problem.

Another very effective paste recipe (passed on to me and subsequently tried and tested by me) is equal quantities by weight of Red Leicester and Dolcelatte; that won't go hard either.

I've never needed to hair rig cheesepaste.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who missed it, Anderoo's article is here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...heesepaste.html