Justifiable Madness?

Bill Eborn

I was reading through the Fishing Reports on this site last night (excellent idea too I must say Elton). The number of reports I read from people who had been out fishing when the conditions were frankly awful - high winds, rivers running through like chocolate coloured trains on speed set me thinking - why do we do this? Go out in virtually impossible conditions when deep down we may know that the chances of catching are slim in the extreme. And then I read this in Hugh Falkus's book 'Sea Trout Fishing' bought recently in anticipation of Summer with memories of that magnificent creature that leapt from the Sussex Ouse before smashing me up when Roach fishing early in the season:

"Ignore the wiseacre who hangs up his rod and speaks of thunder; let others tap the glass and funk the ground mist; don't worry if the air is dry or the grass is wet or the wind is north south east or west, if you want to fish - then fish. And which is more, go on fishing - however poor the conditions - because you will neither gain experience nor catch many fish if you don't".

So far in 2002 I've managed three trips out, during two of which I nearly got blown off the river and to date I have the grand sum of absolutely zero fish to my name. But what I have done I think is to see the river from a different perspective the faster running water bringing into sharper relief the contours in the riverbed, whilst a svage upstream wind forced me to fish upstream, a technique which hitherto I have been a little reticent to try when I could settle for the edge of the nearbank slacks as the easier option.

Wise words? I reckon so myself, what does anybody else think?

Cracking quote Bill - ought to add it to the quotations thread of a while back. :D

As for fishing in wild weather I guess most of us have no choice. If you're restricted to weekends you've had all week to anticapte your trip and if you're like me will have your eyes glued to at least half a dozen weather forecasts and believe only the most favourable !!

And still you'll go telling yourself that the fish won't get caught sitting at home!!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Cheers Chris

Your right about tactically editing the weather forecast. I use the Teletext service through my digital telly, yesterday the forecast for Sunday was for sun and a five knot South Westerly. Today Sunday's forecast is still for sun but an eleven knot west nor westerley - I'll believe yesterdays.

Hi guys,i too watch the forecasts like a hawk both for work and fishing.Teletext is ok but their 5 day forecast is really poor.Have been using aol 10 day forecast for a while and find it quite reasonably accurate.Its certainly very aggravating to have all the mild weather midweek(with a promise of it continuing),only to find the temps plummeting on the friday night,when one is confined to weekends.

Chris

As I write the wind is blowing a howling gale outside my window!

The forecast for York for Saturday, (Im committed to meeting a new friend from the Internet at Elvington to suss out the Nothern Fish-in venue) has plummetted from the estimated 7 degs 3 days ago, to 1dg C with a wind chill factor making it feel minus 5 degs.

IIts a 180 mile round trip for me.

I fished the North Level at Wisbech on Tuesday and caught just 1 4lb Pike!. The cut-off channel on Weds. hoping for Zander and the 12 odd Anglers there in a 30 mph wind, following a downpour all tues night, never had a run between us!

I loved every minute of the Company, the crack and the challenge of the new and legendary fen venues!

I arrived home at 8.30 on thursday, having been also lucky enough to have a drink at dinnertime on the way up with Elton, whom although extremely busy, spared me an hour for a meet as I was passing through his village on that 501 mile round trip in 61 hours from the time I set off at 5.00 am on tuesday morning.

If I used the weather as an excuse, I would definitely have missed all of that!

I am not gonna wait til Michael Fish says its 25 degrees, slightly cloudy and your Carp Puddle with easy access at 300 metres from your door has a spare peg!

Off the bank you won't catch!

Zippy

PS Yes Im Married, Retired, Disabled(a bit lol) (and Stupid?) but I would go even more , with disregard to the weather if I only had week-ends.

Zip