Old Gravel Pits

rarepleasures

I've just come back from a weeks holiday fishing a gravel pit near York, and of all the places I fished since returning to the sport a couple of years ago this place is the best. Judging by the comments in the vistors book and the high number of return vistors, some booking up to 2 years in advance, I wasn't the only angler to think so.

The site itself was on the edge of a much bigger nature reserve and abouded with flora and fora of seemingly countless varieties. It may not (currently) hold specimen fishing but the enviroment was as far from the souless 'carp puddle' as I can imagine you can get for a semi-commercial (ie holiday) water.

I've not been to Wingham but judging by the stories of those that have, I was wondering for stillwater fishing do old gravels pits make for the best fishing ?

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not exactly a still waters expert but the few gravel pits I have been to have impressed me with the size and quality of the size they hold (though 99% of the time in other people's landing nets) and also the visibility and clarity the water has. And Wingham is on the top of that list. (if only I could have taken my lures and some mackerel.......)

I would also add that it depends on what you think is the "best" fishing. If it's catching fish after fish, unless you are a certain Mr Poledark, than pits may not be the best thing for you. But if you want a session in lovely surroundings with the knowledge that if the alarm goes off or the float rises, there's likely to be a decent specimen on the other end, then a gravel pit's a good idea.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by BoozleBear

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Guest Rabbit

I was lucky enough to live next to the biggest complex of gravel pits in the country in what is the Cotswold Water Park. The area is now a bit too touristy for me but the are some virtually unfished waters that hold some specimen fish. one of the main advantages of gravel pits, no matter how bright the summer day the tench will feed right through.

Find a nice quiet lake that is not carp infested and you have a taste of what stillwater fishing would have been like years ago.

Edited by Rabbit

I love gravel pits :) When I returned to coarse fishing, I went in search of waters, and found the Larkfield complex. Misty day, so I couldn't see the far bank, but the clear water and the deep margins, with the promise of unknown fish to be caught, was all I needed to see.

Had the same feeling when I first saw the Hants Avon when I was about 12 :)

I have fished some pits in the early stage of maturing...raw gravel..no trees........very little weed. 5 years down the line and the willows are 12 ft high..alders nearly the same. Rushes and reeds along the margins.....and still the magic of that deep clear water.

But they can be hard.............a couple of years ago, I went 6 months without even a bleep.

This is probably the best time of year to see a pit in its full glory.................

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest tigger
I've just come back from a weeks holiday fishing a gravel pit near York, and of all the places I fished since returning to the sport a couple of years ago this place is the best. Judging by the comments in the vistors book and the high number of return vistors, some booking up to 2 years in advance, I wasn't the only angler to think so.

The site itself was on the edge of a much bigger nature reserve and abouded with flora and fora of seemingly countless varieties. It may not (currently) hold specium fishing but the enviroment was as far from the souless 'carp puddle' as I can imagine you can get for a semi-commercial (ie holiday) water.

I've not been to Wingham but judging by the stories of those that have, I was wondering for stillwater fishing do old gravels pits make for the best fishing ?

I know gravel pits are good fishing but I don't think you can actually say they make the best fishing as many other types of waters hold super fish and provide excellent sport also. For example I fish a local clay pit virtually unfished these days and seems to thrive on neglect. The water holds mainly specimine fish and only recently I've had Tench just over 8lb and seen bigger looking ones rolling just under my rod tip. I've also had Rud over 3lbs in the same water and many over the 1lb mark.

I fished it last night with my m8 and even though the conditions were perfect we only managed to catch oneTench each. My m8's was the smallest wev'e had from this water and mine was about the average of 6lb.

I know gravel pits are good fishing but I don't think you can actually say they make the best fishing as many other types of waters hold super fish and provide excellent sport also.

But do the places themselves have a 'soul' ? Like I said this place didn't hold specimens but the fishing was more involving than just the part from where you've hooked into the fish.

Tony

Guest tigger
But do the places themselves have a 'soul' ? Like I said this place didn't hold specimens but the fishing was more involving than just the part from where you've hooked into the fish.

What do you mean by soul ?

rarepleasures said

But do the places themselves have a 'soul' ?

This to me is what it is all about whether it be a gravel pit, estate lake, mere, farm pond, river or whatever. It is the ambience and atmosphere created by the surroundings and the pure enjoyment of being there. What is best fishing. For some it is quantity, for others it is size and/or achieving P.Bs. Many thrive on the challenge of working it out and acheiving success but for me it is going home after a session feeling good irrespective of whether I have caught or not. I have not always had this philosophy and have like many others gone through the numbers and size game, but for a good many years it has been about quality in all senses of the word and I think that Wingham is a classic example of the top end of quality. Beautiful surroundings, quality fish, a sense of mystery and quite a challenge. Sheer bliss. Size and type of water is not the main issue but it does have to have that special something (or soul) that you can feel and become part of.

rarepleasures said But do the places themselves have a 'soul' ?

It is the ambience and atmosphere created by the surroundings and the pure enjoyment of being there. Beautiful surroundings, quality fish, a sense of mystery and quite a challenge. Sheer bliss. but it does have to have that special something (or soul) that you can feel and become part of.

Nicely said Tinca..

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Guest tigger
rarepleasures said But do the places themselves have a 'soul' ?

This to me is what it is all about whether it be a gravel pit, estate lake, mere, farm pond, river or whatever. It is the ambience and atmosphere created by the surroundings and the pure enjoyment of being there. What is best fishing. For some it is quantity, for others it is size and/or achieving P.Bs. Many thrive on the challenge of working it out and acheiving success but for me it is going home after a session feeling good irrespective of whether I have caught or not. I have not always had this philosophy and have like many others gone through the numbers and size game, but for a good many years it has been about quality in all senses of the word and I think that Wingham is a classic example of the top end of quality. Beautiful surroundings, quality fish, a sense of mystery and quite a challenge. Sheer bliss. Size and type of water is not the main issue but it does have to have that special something (or soul) that you can feel and become part of.

TT, you'd love the place, it's been left for years and is about as wild as it can be. I suppose it's perfect for using the pin also as you can fish off the tip of your rod. I've never caught Tench anywhere that fight like the ones in this water they just don't give up.