Old Gravel Pits

rarepleasures

quote name='tigger' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:14 PM' post='1003717']

TT, you'd love the place, it's been left for years and is about as wild as it can be. I suppose it's perfect for using the pin also as you can fish off the tip of your rod. I've never caught Tench anywhere that fight like the ones in this water they just don't give up.

Sound a great place Tigger. This is a smallish gravel pit that I fish of around seven acres. Bream and Tench to doubles with the Bream like many places being extremely difficult and a few good sized Carp but it is a lovely little lake. What looks like a small island is one of a number of fish refuges that give some protective cover from Cormorants.

post-8110-1212356543_thumb.jpg[

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest tigger
quote name='tigger' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:14 PM' post='1003717']

TT, you'd love the place, it's been left for years and is about as wild as it can be. I suppose it's perfect for using the pin also as you can fish off the tip of your rod. I've never caught Tench anywhere that fight like the ones in this water they just don't give up.

Sound a great place Tigger. This is a smallish gravel pit that I fish of around seven acres. Bream and Tench to doubles with the Bream like many places being extremely difficult and a few good sized Carp but it is a lovely little lake. What looks like a small island is one of a number of fish refuges that give some protective cover from Cormorants.

post-8110-1212356543_thumb.jpg[

Beautifull water TT, it's funny as it really does resemble the place I'm on about.

To me, old established gravel pits are the very best stillwater fisheries - a perfect example of man and nature working together. Man for making the hole (and all the features), and often with fish stocking, and then nature for taking it over and giving it its soul.

I love the clear, weedy water and the sense of mystery. The fish are often large too as pits are often very rich waters. There's a real sense of achievement from working out where the fish will be and going on to catch them, in wild and beautiful surroundings. No other type of stillwater comes close :)

Some are so rich that you catch tench with damsel nymphs stuck to them :rolleyes:

They have an amazing atmosphere that can't be put adequately into words.

They're almost as good as small streams :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

are you getting confused between use or location,most lakes are holes where something was taken from ,gravel sand clay or rock ,theres few natural lakes compared to un natural ones ,a heavily used gravel pit is far different to a unused /hardly used one.

commercials are probably gravel pits (well around here anyway) but differ vastly from well used gravel pits or rarely used ones.nature in reality has little to do with fishing its a strictly controlled regime just like any other commodity

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I love fishing established Gravel Pits especially if they have the odd out of the way corner which does'nt see many anglers because the banks are too overgrown. I fish a pit which was like this untill one of my large clubs took it over and did a bank clearing exercise and opened up the hard to reach parts of the bank, and once people realised that 'Toadless' was in there it very quickly changed the place into a place with bivvies in every swim right round the clock which in my view has now ruined it. It still holds large fish of most species including some nice tench up to around 10lb plus which is what I loved most in the gravel pit. but I would now rather fish the estate lake a few miles away; which is not yet spoilt even though there are no record breakers in there as it's what I call Magic and Atmospheric even though the Tench only grow to 7 to 8lb and the Ghosties only grow to around 25lb, and the membership is by invitation only and is kept very low at the landowners request.

TykesLakeBigLakeFromBridge1(648_x_486).jpg

Estate Lake in early may before the water lillies erupt. NB. Islands on the left.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Guest tigger

The natural Lakes of the Lakedistrict and the Lochs of Scotland will take some beating for sheer looks, setting and of course fishing.

I do not know the reasons why, but on a few waters, I have experienced a state of being where you seem to tune into the atmosphere of the place to such a degree, that you had an awareness that something was about to happen. For example you could have been fairly inactive for a long period of time, then for no reason, your senses are alerted and you are bolt upright in anticipation and on many occassions this has resulted in the capture of a decent fish. I used to wonder if it was my immagination playing tricks has it certainly has at times but it has happened on too many occassions for that. I certainly can't explain this sense of esp and I wonder how many others have similar experiences. Is it some remote link to our hunting past ?. I don't know and I am sure that it wiull sound far ferched to some people but it is like having a sense of acceptance from your surroundings.

I do not know the reasons why, but on a few waters, I have experienced a state of being where you seem to tune into the atmosphere of the place to such a degree, that you had an awareness that something was about to happen. For example you could have been fairly inactive for a long period of time, then for no reason, your senses are alerted and you are bolt upright in anticipation and on many occassions this has resulted in the capture of a decent fish. I used to wonder if it was my immagination playing tricks has it certainly has at times but it has happened on too many occassions for that. I certainly can't explain this sense of esp and I wonder how many others have similar experiences. Is it some remote link to our hunting past ?. I don't know and I am sure that it wiull sound far ferched to some people but it is like having a sense of acceptance from your surroundings.

That sounds like a very interesting topic in its own right TT. I know exactly what you mean. I often get a very strong feeling that there just aren't any fish (or, at least, feeding fish) in front of me, or the opposite, a very strong feeling that something is about to happen after a long inactive period. Usually on waters that I've spent a bit of time on. Maybe just tiny changes in the weather that you pick up on without realising? Whatever it is, I feel it most strongly on gravel pits and small rivers, which may well explain why I'm drawn to them more than anywhere else.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've occasionally had this feeling, or just a feeling to fish a particular water. I've learnt never to ignore it.

The only way I can describe it is that I suddenly become very attentive. It almost seems as if I'm really tuned in to nature, and perhaps notice some small change in conditions.

However, it all too rarely happens and I usually have to really work hard for my fish.

One occasion it did happen was when I was fishing a farm reservoir with a friend one sunny but bitterly cold December day. We were after perch and after a totally blank morning I turned to Nigel and announced I was about to get a bite.

"Nonsense" he snorted, "Not in this bright sunshine you won't! We never get any perch until dusk in these conditions."

I kid you not, but thirty seconds later one of the bobbins rose and the line poured off the spool! The result was our first 3lber.

The trouble was it was to Nigel's bait that was just a yard away from mine!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The natural Lakes of the Lakedistrict and the Lochs of Scotland will take some beating for sheer looks, setting and of course fishing.

lake ;) strangely enough the lake district contains just the one "lake" thus lake district not lakes district :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson