How to keep worms?

Julian

I’ve been doing quite a bit of carping this year using Dendrobaena worms as bait, and so far the results have been fantastic. For ease of use I’ve been buying the packs of Dendrobaena from my local tackle shop at around £1.25 for a tub of 20.

I’m not against paying for them as it makes the whole job easier and they last for weeks with no attention whatsoever. However, if I’m going to keep using them it would make sense to try and start harvesting them and wonder if anybody can offer any tips?

I’ve been looking at lots of sites but most seem to concentrate on using them to breakdown waste, whereas I’m more interested in how to breed them. Also, most seem to concentrate on Red Worms.

So, what do I need and how can I keep and breed Dendrobaena’s?

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Cast your beady eye over this article....

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon11.htm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I stole this from another site I write on. I don't know if any of my ramblings here will be of any use but they might be interesting if nothing else.

Word of advice to all you worm users.

The saddle is where the highest concentration of blood vessels are. Hooking through the saddle will kill your worm faster than stamping on it with a size 10 Doc Marten boot. I used to hook through this bit myself. I don't know why either, it just seemed to be the right bit. I was told this by a friend who studies biology and since then I've hooked through the tail somewhere and to be honest, he was right. My lobs do in fact last that bit longer.

Also, the story about halfing worms and both ends growing into a 2 worms is also a myth. The head end may survive but the tail end withers and dies.

Did you also know you can 'beef' up your worms by adding mashed potato to them over a period. We do this with both Dendrobes and Lobs and we grow some right big snakes. Even the 2lb Perch are scared of them. You can add a handful of freshly mashed potato or a liberal sprikling of Smash/Mr.Mash..whatever. Potato peeling done in the blender works well too as does a lot of household waste. Just don't use anything from fruit because they don't like it and it alters the PH of the medium. Fresh leaves fallen in Autum are a big favourite of the old Lobs. Just leave them on the surface and the lobs will drag 'em down into thier lair.

If you must keep them for a period, make sure the soil is PH neutral or they can can die of pretty fast. Also make sure you ventilate the tub from all sides.

Um...if you add a handful of sharp sand and moss to a tub of Lobs you can toughen the skin, which makes them extra hookable and if you soak them in a few mm of water on the night before you go fishing, they absorb the extra water to save themselves from drowning and bloat right up. Even fatter still.

You can give all your worms names but don't get too attached or you,ll never use them for bait.

You can reuse worms if you put them back into a nice medium after 20 mins or so. Any longer and they drown. I leger big Lobs and I rotate them often. Even if they catch fish, as long as they are still kcking, they'll survive if you look after them. A bit of mash and they soon spring back to health. Change them into fresh medium after a session and you can keep the same bunch of worms for ages.

Err...that's about it on the subject of worms.

Oh yea...did you know that worms are an excellent source of minerals and protein. If you go fishing for a few days and you break your pinkie, you won't die as long as you have a tub of fat lobs. Yum Yum.

Um...worms can't climb trees without crampons...... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

quote:

We do this with both Dendrobes and Lobs and we grow some right big snakes. Even the 2lb Perch are scared of them.
LOL :D

Thanks for that Andy, some useful tips. Think I’m about ready to have a go at making my own worm hutch. :)

Also, maybe a daft question but are lob worms and Dendrobaena worms the same thing?

Anybody?

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Andy Macfarlane:

You can give all your worms names but don't get too attached or you,ll never use them for bait.

While on the subject - tapeworms make great pets. Go where you go, eat what you eat :D

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I`ve found that lobs kept in soaked, torn up newspaper - in a 25p, lidded, airtight bucket from your local bakery - last waaaaay longer than worms in a vented bucket. Which begs the question - how much air do they need ??

I can keep around 40 or 50 worms in a 5litre bucket half full of newspaper slop for eight weeks with no problems at all ! I just remove the lid for 30 seconds once a week and they`re fine !!

They mustn`t get too warm though.......

As Elton has highlighted, worms have been wrote about a lot on this site and many others. Each species of worm (there are at least 17 sp.of earthworm in the UK) inhabits a seperate niche in the ground environment and feed on a particular food source. I can't just remember all the food sorce for each sp. off the top of my head. But, I do know that dendrobeanas will in a compost bin leave the site (if they can), if their particular food source not present.

I would suggest that you have a look on the worm composting sites for the best food sorce for dendros.

You will also find information about breeding and keeping worms as well as reducing your organic hosehold waste going into landfill.

phil h.