Lure actions

Ken L

I had an interesting chat with a guy the other day about lure actions (bibed lures/plugs) and we pretty much agreed that if you disregard diving depth and all the stuff that we all do by twitching the rod tip, they can be split into only four main groups:

Tail waggers. Where the head stays in the same place on the retieve but the tail 'wags' from side to side. eg: The Magnastrike Predator

Head/tail shakers. Similar action to above but with the pivot point for the lures action midway along the body so that both the head and tail are swinging out from the direction of travel. eg: Most of the alphabet type lures.

Shimmy. The body travels in a straight line but leans quickly from side to side. eg: The Rapala husky Jerk.

Rollers. The whole lure lure swings out from one side of the retieve path, keels over and then swings to the other side. eg: Cordel's Riplin Redfin.

Can anyone think of any more ?

Is there any official or agreed upon clasification system for describing lure actions ?

Can anyone think of a lure that has an action in the vertical plane without changes of retrieve speed ?

This could build into an interesting discussion because (for instance) I for one have almost no confidence using a flat retieve with a "Shimmy" type lure for pike but it would be first out of the box for bass.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The various "lipless" lures where there is no protruding lip but the shape does give it similar action. Most of these are sinkers whereas the lipped ones are mainly floaters - though not all.

And you might want to consider if the lip is in front (usual) or in back (like the bomber lures were).

No strict classification scheme I'm aware of.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not for sure myself but sorta assumed bib = lip.

Figured it was just another one of those cases where UK anglers have funny names for the most ordinary things. :D

[ 23 July 2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The Diamond Geezer:

what's a bibed lure then   :confused:   ?

the geezer

Hi Geeza, glad to see you have come over to the Main Man Site then!

A bibbed lure is one with a bib! Alias a diving vane. Obvious really :D

Ken, I have a little Bomber lure ( model "A" 1/4 oz) that does a sort of Chugging, where instead of any roll, it seems to move forward in little hops, I guess the tail is moving up/down as opposed to left /right.

Oops, must be talking to to many Aussies.

Yes, bib = lip = diving vane. Sorry for any confusion.

Danny, maybe you've just got a weired "long A". All mine fit into the rolling category except for a very little one (about 2") that I picked up in the States that tends to tail wag.

Some lures do strange things for no obvious reason (although the plastic ones are a bit more consistent than the timber ones), for instance, I have a Super Shad rap that simply has no action at all, it looks perfectly normal but barely moves in the water on a straight retrieve unless I crank it back at max speed or work it with the rod tip. It's been retired now because no matter what I've done with it, it's never generated so much as a funny look from a fish.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi to All,

Ken , at the L.A.S. day in Derby in June i bought a New Lure from a guy called 'Mad Mick'.

This lure that he produces is a bit like a 'sossy' lure ( spelling ?)being made of rubber type stuff with gaps/cuts in the body every inch which makes the body snake on the retrieve. Well he has made it so it has weight on one side so it swims on it's side and the hooks are mounted on that same side so if you stop the lure should slowly land on it's side resting on the hooks, then as you wind it should start snaking in the vertical plane.

I say ' should' as i haven't tryed it yet , a case of too many lures and not enough time. I think Mad Mick calls it a 'Sink and Draw Roach'

Tim Kelly was there so if you read this Tim could you tell us if you have seen this lure or used it.

I'm going to try and find that lure and try it next week if i get a chance.

I have a friend who loves making and trying new ideas for fishing stuff and he has tryed a few designs and says that to make it wobble verticaly isn't that easy.

I have noticed that on some lures if they get the line/trace hooked/snagged on the front treble then they some times come back in with a nice 'on the side' wobble which may give some insite to whats needed to make a vertical wobble.

Also maybe some has tryed it before and found that fish don't like a vertical wobble :D

Good thread Ken , it will make me take more notice next time i cast a lure .

Tight Lines, Richard.

[ 24 July 2002, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: Richard Harvey ]

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Hi Richard

I've not tried the lure you were talking about, though I did try out a few of Micks early prototypes. One was very similar to the one you described but it came unrigged and unweighted. I added a little lead to it and a couple of hooks and used it sink and draw style. The segments in the body helped give it a nice rippling action on the pull. I have used it very successfully as a follow up bait, when I have had fish following in other lures. As I fish it very slowly it's not very good at covering water. I have had fish pick the lure up from the bottom after it's been resting there for a few minutes. You do need to be watching the lure on the bottom to make this work though as the only indication they have picked it up is seeing them do it. If I've had a follower I cast Micks lure to the same place the cast went to get the following fish, hop it slowly back. If it doesn't get taken while I'm hopping it back, just as it comes into view I let it sink to the bottom and leave it there. Seb Shelton was the first to alert me to this technique and it can be deadly, if a little dull waiting for the fish to make it's mind up. That's probably why I couldn't do deadbaiting!

Tim

Tim - ain't it great how often a nice fish will take a follow-on lure after a strike/miss or a follow of the original. :) A plastic worm rigged wacky style (hook thru the center so it dangles at both ends) and only enough weight to allow the cast makes a great follow-on as well.

Richard - you said "Also maybe some has tryed it before and found that fish don't like a vertical wobble". I think they do if it is just right. Think of an injured fish that can barely stay upright and off the surface. They have a vertical motion but it is very slow. Probably a rapid movement of this sort wouldn't work too well but a slow one certainly should - especially if the lure is a floater and will wobble back to the surface if left alone.