Blob Controversy

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't fish them, but why the problem???

Do you ban all lures that are successful? ...take it further, do you ban boilies in coarse fishing they are not a natural food item and are very successful....

The Blobs are of legal competition size, they are legal. It sounds a little bit like sour grapes at not being able to compete with the method. As for creating 'yobbish' behaviour, yobs are yobs and always will be whether using Blobs or not....mind you it sounds good...."Yobs with Blobs" :lol:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I wouldn't fish them, but why the problem???

Do you ban all lures that are successful? ...take it further, do you ban boilies in coarse fishing they are not a natural food item and are very successful....

The Blobs are of legal competition size, they are legal. It sounds a little bit like sour grapes at not being able to compete with the method. As for creating 'yobbish' behaviour, yobs are yobs and always will be whether using Blobs or not....mind you it sounds good...."Yobs with Blobs" :lol:

You would have to be very careful of your phrasing if you were asking a woman if she was using one.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Mr Ogborne said: "Fly-fishing is about imitating things that fish eat. Blobs are fundamentally bad for the sport. It's a very easy way of catching a lot of fish and takes the skill away. Any idiot can use them."

It takes the skill away............so does buying your flies. So does using a carbon rod (do you really think he's still using split cane), does his ral have gears, does he use fluorocarbon...the list goes on......... live and let live, the whole concept of fly fishing is fooling a fish into a bite, what you use to fool them is up to you.

half the succesful "imitation" flies we use are a fudge rather than an exact replica. A March Brown, A Hares Ear, An Adams, a greenwells glory..............

i love fly fishing but i really hate the snobby element. Give me a bent pin and a worm and I'll still enjoy myself, and if he wants to know about taking fish with no skill, try telling a coarse angler that there's no skill in feeder fishing....as that will empty a swim if fished properly, faster than any blob.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

To quote Chris Ogborne

Some blobs look like the pellets fed to stock fish before they are released into lakes and reservoirs. The technique involves ripping the lure swiftly through the water, as opposed to twitching gently an artificial midge or mayfly

It looks like a pellet, it is stripped like a lure. There is something wrong with the logic here - since when have trout pellets whizzed horizontally through the water?

I've seen trout hunters use deer-hair pellet imitations, fished as slow sinkers (sometimes with a drop of fish oil added to the highly absorbent deer-hair - presumably to make it sink more slowly :lol::lol: )

I can understand criticism of that.

I've seen lure-strippers in action too, and used lures myself, and yes, its spinning under the guise of fly-fishing. That gets criticised as well.

Chris Ogborne is firing both barrels at once, so as to make sure of a hit whether a "blob" is classed as a pellet or a lure.

Fortunately I no longer go in for competitive fishing, so if I want to use a nymph fished slowly I can - even if Joe Blob is catching more and faster than me. But if I wanted to try the blob, I would.

I remember when "ledgered" boobies were deemed unsporting and "not fly fishing".

I remember when slowly retrieved boobies were deemed unsporting and "not fly fishing".

I remember when polystickles were deemed unsporting and "not fly fishing".

I remember when upstream nymphs were deemed unsporting and "not fly fishing".

I remember when downstream nymphs were deemed unsporting and "not fly fishing".

I remember when downstream fishing of any sort was deemed unsporting and "not fly fishing".

I remember when wet flies were deemed unsporting and "not fly fishing" - even if fished upstream.

I remember even those days when casting other than to a visibly rising trout (upstream dry fly of course) was deemed unsporting and "not fly fishing"

"Angling Unity" :lol::lol::lol:

My introduction to fly fishing was simple - where the weed-growth in my local stream in Norfolk was so dense that I couldn't use my usual upstream worm, I was forced to use something that floated on the surface - it made catching trout easier :P

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Never done any good with them :wallbash: perhaps i don't use them enough!!!.I do like to fish buzzers/nymphs,but will resort to lures and egg flies if the need arises,oh and indicators with buzzers :yeah: .

Yes agree far too much snobbery involved.I have even been told 'you should not fish for stillwater rainbows or browns,only wild river fish',yea right,like the rivers near me hold a good head of wild browns :rolleyes: .

If its legal and the desired method is working on the day,so be it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,i might become a yob with a blob yet :clap2:

Vagabond is right I remember the Booby controvasy, And god help you if you owened up to useing a Minky, or rolly poly stripping method, there is a place for tradition but why condem some one for ringing the changes,

I once for a laugh got a fishery stocky to rise to a cast fag butt, now that was unsporting, getting them addicted to nicotine!!! ;)

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Vagabond is right I remember the Booby controvasy, And god help you if you owened up to useing a Minky, or rolly poly stripping method, there is a place for tradition but why condem some one for ringing the changes,

I once for a laugh got a fishery stocky to rise to a cast fag butt, now that was unsporting, getting them addicted to nicotine!!! ;)

Cheatttttttttttttttttttttttttttt boo hissssssssssssssssssssssssss :P:D

Cheatttttttttttttttttttttttttttt boo hissssssssssssssssssssssssss :P:D

:headhurt:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Vagabond's post made me smile.

Until recently I had a book '50 years on the Test' published in the 1930s (since passed onto Jim Glasspool), where many of those issues were discussed, particularly the casting of flies downstream (No, no, no, don't do that!).

Oh! and bemoaning the fact that river keepers were neglecting to wear levereen jackets of late!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust