Blob Controversy

Leon Roskilly

Vagabond's post made me smile.

Until recently I had a book '50 years on the Test' published in the 1930s (since passed onto Jim Glasspool), where many of those issues were discussed, particularly the casting of flies downstream (No, no, no, don't do that!).

I've never understood why people cast flies upstream, so that the thick line preceeds the fly. Surely the stark staringly obvious way to do it is to cast downstream. You wouldn't stand in a river casting a float upstream, so why do it with a fly? Seems absolutely bonkers to me.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood why people cast flies upstream, so that the thick line preceeds the fly. Surely the stark staringly obvious way to do it is to cast downstream. You wouldn't stand in a river casting a float upstream, so why do it with a fly? Seems absolutely bonkers to me.

You can get a more narural presentation, it does work.

but so does nymphing, spinning, ah well, each to their own.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

years ago dry fly fishing for browns was considered the art of flyfishing, catching fish on nymphs was for the lower angler and assigned to grayling and alike, so this argument is nothing new, fishing goes forward, not stuck in the past like some would have it :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

i've had some great perch on minkies recently, i wonder how a coarse angler fishing a match would feel if the angler in the peg next to him started fishing the fly?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

i've had some great perch on minkies recently, i wonder how a coarse angler fishing a match would feel if the angler in the peg next to him started fishing the fly?

He would regard him as an idiot, unless the fish were coming to the fly - in which case he would agitate at the next AGM for fly fishing to be banned as unsporting!

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

i remember catching chub at the 5 rise locks off the top after Nick in the North suggested I had a bash........prior to that i'd always relied on large bags of small fish, it wasn't until nick told me where to have a go, that i realised there were chub in there. The pole anglers were not happy and "reported me" to the club committee..........I never heard any more, so I assume that someone on the committee had their head screwed on and squashed it.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 2 weeks later...

The blob debate is a strange one. the orange blob is said to at times represent daphinia(sp) a form of bug/parasite which lives in some of the larger reservoirs and drives rainbows wild. i personally have never got the whole buz of the blob, i get much better succes from stuff like damsels, 'The apps Worm' and my most lethal pattern is a basic orange cheeked black buzzer. a pattern i have used to effect and cleaned up when 'Yobs with Blobs' are struggling. tbh the mot effective use of the blob in my honest oppinion is fished static under an indicator(a completey different debate all together) but i suppose we all have our own oppinions. the blob gets so much press about how many fish get caught on it, well its the same as the cats whisker. it has a reputation for catching fish so people use it. people also maintain with it even if its not catching. so someone could catch 5 all day on a cats whisker/blob and go away saying what a great pattern but if i got and catch 9 on a series of patterns each one of those could be just as dangerous even more so but because im being more tactful and changing to suit my environment, the patterns i use are not regarded as these dangerous 'Fad flys'

The blob debate is a strange one. the orange blob is said to at times represent daphinia(sp) a form of bug/parasite which lives in some of the larger reservoirs and drives rainbows wild. i personally have never got the whole buz of the blob, i get much better succes from stuff like damsels, 'The apps Worm' and my most lethal pattern is a basic orange cheeked black buzzer. a pattern i have used to effect and cleaned up when 'Yobs with Blobs' are struggling. tbh the mot effective use of the blob in my honest oppinion is fished static under an indicator(a completey different debate all together) but i suppose we all have our own oppinions. the blob gets so much press about how many fish get caught on it, well its the same as the cats whisker. it has a reputation for catching fish so people use it. people also maintain with it even if its not catching. so someone could catch 5 all day on a cats whisker/blob and go away saying what a great pattern but if i got and catch 9 on a series of patterns each one of those could be just as dangerous even more so but because im being more tactful and changing to suit my environment, the patterns i use are not regarded as these dangerous 'Fad flys'

Hello mate good pionts!

Daphnia is the common or garden water flea! and you find it in the smallest of ponds as well as Mega reservoirs,

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Vagabond's post made me smile.

Until recently I had a book '50 years on the Test' published in the 1930s (since passed onto Jim Glasspool), where many of those issues were discussed, particularly the casting of flies downstream (No, no, no, don't do that!).

Oh! and bemoaning the fact that river keepers were neglecting to wear levereen jackets of late!

Id never heard that blobs were this lethal so cheers for the free tips ogbourne. I'll be buying myself a handful of these next time i take myself fishing and have a proper good time. Mite even have a bong and a beer on the bankside just to show how yobbish i feel :lol: