The end is nigh for livebaiting nationally!!!!

phil hackett

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Burke:

Steve Burke:

Copied from 'New Society' thread as is relevant on this one but in answer to Scotts comment.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott:

[QB Remember the decimation of Perch stocks throughout Britain and Ireland in the 60's.Do you wish to see the same with other species? who knows it could be the Pike next time!

Greg, perch disease wasn't caused by anglers. It was caused by a parasite (a nematode worm) carried by seabirds, especially gulls. This weakened the perch and they subsequently died from a wide variety of causes, but especially aeromonas infections.
A parasite is a parasite whether carried by a bird or a fish, we cannot stop birds spreading them but we can stop anglers.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

quote:

Originally posted by greg long:

[/qb]

A parasite is a parasite whether carried by a bird or a fish, we cannot stop birds spreading them but we can stop anglers.[/QB]

I'm sorry, Greg, I'm only half awake but I don't understand the point you're making.

Are you saying that perch disease can be spread by anglers and thus deadbaits ought to be banned?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve Burke:

quote:

Originally posted by greg long:
A parasite is a parasite whether carried by a bird or a fish, we cannot stop birds spreading them but we can stop anglers.[/QB]

I'm sorry, Greg, I'm only half awake but I don't understand the point you're making.

Are you saying that perch disease can be spread by anglers and thus deadbaits ought to be banned?[/QB]

No. I'm saying disease in general can be spread by the a****les who carry fish from one water to another with no regard to the law. My point was that the next fish to suffer from an outbreak of disease could be any species even pike and that the transfer of fish could be responsible.

As I said previously it is a case of whether you bolt the stable door now or after the horse has bolted. disease can be spread without people realising it, take for example last years foot and mouth, cjd through contaminated food ie. meat product. Wild Salmon are, even as we speak, being infected through escaped farmed fish.....

All I am saying is which species is next??????? :(:(

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I wholeheartedly agree with you when it comes to livebaits.

However, I think that Bruno will tell us that's there's no known case of deadbaits spreading disease. With parasites like those that cause perch disease it's not the individual parasite that's important but the total numbers. If we take the arguement to its logical conclusion we should shoot all seabirds visiting the waters!

With the problems policing the morons who transport livebaits I can see why the EA has banned both livebaits and deadbaits in waters containing vendace. However, and I'm sorry for going on about it, there's no scientific reason why the ban should apply to other Lake District waters.

I'm a great admirer of the work that the EA's Fisheries Departments do with limited resources, and have often defended them here. However this action by the NW region is indefensible.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net