The end is nigh for livebaiting nationally!!!!

phil hackett

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

greg long:

Please consider the reasons for the BAN before reacting in an adversarial way to it.

Ok then you tell me how preventing the use of dead coarse fish as bait it going to alter the situation, their use has been banned.

Ive been considering the reasons for it since I first posted about this ban in October last year and still cant come up with a valid reason, can you?

Scott.

Gray-Catchpole:

i too had a letter but this time it was for llangorse, a fine water, and even finer pike water, it seems to be going nation wide all of a sudden, i will, as much as i can defend our right to fish the way we choose, the email i recieved was from Andrew Prichard (EA) ive never heard of him, and why he would email me is a bit of a mistery as he used one of my email addys that have nothing to do with angling.

Tell us more, or even post the letter.

Scott.

I, for one, agree with Greg's thinking.

Paul

As a newbie to this group I would like to add a note or two on this subject.

It`s been my opinion for quite some time that angling is the final frontier for those sinister folk at PETA et al.

These types have been putting the knife into angling and anglers for many years along with our countryside friends who enjoy hunting.

It doesn`t matter who`s in power,labour,

conservatives or a bunch of aliens.These people are powerful and very convincing.

The morality of hunting has been eaten away for years and all the folk out there said it would never be banned....look at them now.

The same thing is happening to angling.

Firstly we discuss the problems amongst ourselves and get into arguements over whose fault it is.

Then we discuss ways to combat the threat but unfortunately either nothing is done or is taken up half heartedly.

Some of us just sit back thinking that others will fight our corner or even worse convince themselves that nothing will ever happen to angling.

"Too many jobs involved.....too much money...too many businesses"

Does this sound familiar?

What`s happening here is the thin edge of the wedge and a nationwide ban is almost certain to follow.

Then what?

Well, I believe that in 10 years angling will be completely banned from our shores and it won`t make any difference who`s in power.

So I would suggest that to start combating this threat we should start by agreeing to assist each other regardless of what species we fish for or

which political party we vote for.

Tinca61:

I, for one, agree with Greg's thinking.

Ok so you agree with Greg, but are you prepared to stand up for someone else's fishing or will you only speak up when your fishing is under threat?

Read TJ's Post, especially the last bit:

"So I would suggest that to start combating this threat we should start by agreeing to assist each other regardless of what species we fish for or

which political party we vote for."

There are many fishing methods I dont use or wish to use, but if they try to ban them i'll make my voice heard, will you?

Scott.

Greg a question for you.

Have you objected to the culling of Pike? The Gill netting etc that has become rife in Ireland.

Or is it as I suspect that you as a Trout Angler dont like Pike.

If I'm wrong I appologise but this new law has had a dramatic effect on my (and many others) fishing, and has virtually destroyed fishing for specimen Perch & Eels in the Lake District.

I am at boiling point over this matter and when I read other anglers just dismissing it, that iritates me more.

This is another example of how we fail each other when it matters, people need to see the big picture here and act now rather than wait till it directly affects them.

If the next thing to be banned was say keepnets then most anglers still would dismiss it because they dont use them, big mistake!

At this moment in time im so p****d off with peoples attitude that should someone ask for help to fight a ban of some type I would ignore them or ask what they did regarding this issue.

600 anglers were all that could be bothered to object to this byelaw 600! if 1/2million had bothered then they might realise that anglers are not going to be walked over and think twice before trying to implement more laws on us.

We are in a sorry state, for f***'s sake lets get our act together before its too late.

Scott.

I do not subscribe to the idea that we should allow groups to attack other branches of the sport. I also fish for Pike, what I said was that there are legitimate reasons for banning live-bait. There are also legitimate reasons for banning freshwater fish as dead-baits, if an angler kills fish from a water that contains disease the dead fish can still contaminate the water that the bait is used in/on. I do not and never have been slow or backwards in coming forwards to defend or protect MY sport, but as a responsible angler it behoves me to look at changes in a logical way and to consider arguments put forward by others in a reasonable way. If your fisheries were to be affected by indiscriminate anglers introducing disease through live bait you might be more inclined to see the reasons for the ban. Do you want the stable door bolted before or after the horse bolts? Incidently when you go pike fishing with live-bait how many of you can honestly say you have never carried live-bait from one water to another? :confused:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Scott:

Greg a question for you.

Have you objected to the culling of Pike? The Gill netting etc that has become rife in Ireland.

Or is it as I suspect that you as a Trout Angler dont like Pike.

If I'm wrong I appologise but this new law has had a dramatic effect on my (and many others) fishing, and has virtually destroyed fishing for specimen Perch & Eels in the Lake District.

I am at boiling point over this matter and when I read other anglers just dismissing it, that iritates me more.

This is another example of how we fail each other when it matters, people need to see the big picture here and act now rather than wait till it directly affects them.

If the next thing to be banned was say keepnets then most anglers still would dismiss it because they dont use them, big mistake!

At this moment in time im so p****d off with peoples attitude that should someone ask for help to fight a ban of some type I would ignore them or ask what they did regarding this issue.

600 anglers were all that could be bothered to object to this byelaw 600! if 1/2million had bothered then they might realise that anglers are not going to be walked over and think twice before trying to implement more laws on us.

We are in a sorry state, for f***'s sake lets get our act together before its too late.

Scott.

In short, Yes. I have also spoken out at national level on the issue. The culling of pike is counter productive to a healthy balance of a fishery. Also as apike angler I know that the bigger pike tend to feed on small pike in preferrence. This can also be explained scientifically in so far as the pike looks forwards,ie. binocular vision whereas most bait fish can see approx. 300 degrees, therefor large pike can creep up on smaller pike more easily and successfully. Also the flesh of the smaller pike is more easily absorbed by the big pike due to the obvious reason that it is the same. The live-bait ban is a totally different argument to the culling of pike, I dealt with this in an earlier topic in a reply to "the piker" :mad:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..