Do you use a special reel for feeder fishing?

larsagi2010

I think we know your feelings on the subject of 'instant anglers' Budgie.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On bait boats (I don't own one by the way), a very good angler said to me earlier in the season, 'they make good anglers better and bad anglers worse.'

That applies to a lot of the 'modern' stuff too I would say.

Here's an interesting hypothetical question. Say you were fishing near me, you were on a day session and I was there for 3 nights bream fishing. At around lunchtime I would need to get all the bait out in readiness for the night ahead. Would you prefer me to spod it out or use a bait boat? There's a lot of quantity of bait - with the spod it will take about 2 hours (quite a proportion of your day) and it will be noisy and quite antisocial. With the bait boat it will take 10 minutes and you may not even notice it happening. I'm fishing at about 40-50 yards.

That's all the boat would be used for, after that it's put away for 24 hours.

Now for another (probably more recognisable!) scenario. You're fishing a lake, float fishing next to a tree in the margin, and you're catching well. I'm on the other bank about 70 yards away and decide to get in on the action. I drive the boat over, under the branches of the tree and drop my bait and a load of freebies there, and also start to catch. Later I spot some carp deep in some snags well out of casting range and get the boat right in them (dropping the line across several swims in the process), resulting in a hooked and snagged carp. Later still my mate on the other bank needs a beer so I drive one over to him, trying to hit the ducks on the way.

Scenario 1 - good angling made better. Scenario 2 - bad angling made worse.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Scenario 2 would result in a 5 oz lead being walloped right through the hull.

Spod rods can be handy for more than putting feed out.... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Scenario 2 would result in a 5 oz lead being walloped right through the hull.

Spod rods can be handy for more than putting feed out.... :)

True :D

What about scenario 1?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Um....I suppose I might grumble if I thought it was making a difference to my fishing BUT asking goes a long way and I'm normally quite accomodating if someone shows a bit of etiquette. A quick, "Mind if I....?" would probably have me saying, "On you go".

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Um....I suppose I might grumble if I thought it was making a difference to my fishing BUT asking goes a long way and I'm normally quite accomodating if someone shows a bit of etiquette. A quick, "Mind if I....?" would probably have me saying, "On you go".

OK, how about I came round and said, I'm just about to put all this bait out mate - would you prefer I use the spod or the boat?

It was a bit Tongue In Cheek Budgie,

I had suspected/hoped that mate!

I wouldnt mind betting Anderoos quote came from Alex! And I can totally agree with it.(We must try and convince the dude to join up and start posting on here as Im sure many would find his thoughts and experiences very interesting)

He is dead right though like a lot of modern fishing "technology" bait boats can be used or abused, I also think Poach is right about his "etiquette" comments.Its amazing how people can be so much more understanding/tolerant if you talk to them nicely!

Regards bait boats I very rarely use then for baiting up but simply only as I dont like the way your feed is distributed (or more accurately NOT) by them.I much prefer to put it in by hand from a real boat if possible! For taking out a live bait to a feature with a force 8 in your face they are indispensable though.

As often the words common sense,thought and consideration are the key words IMO regarding bait boats.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'd say, "Can I hear/see your boat in the margin?" and I'd probably want a gander anyway, out of interest.

If it hummed quietly and hardly made a ripple, I'd probably say the boat. If it sounded like a generator and chopped the water to a foam, I'd probably say the spod.

Like you, I don't have a problem with bait-boats in theory. It's how they're used and their effect on others.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Yes, it was Alex. He's always coming out with such simple little sentences that blow my mind! Stuff that's so true and obvious I'd have never thought of it.

(It's also Alex who's doing the big roach fishing this winter, at a little commercial. I'm hoping he then takes this to Wingham and has a proper go for the roach in there. He must be bored of catching the bream by now :rolleyes: )

On the boat/spod thing, I'd say the boat every time. I would also prefer to use a proper boat though. The only reason I do the baiting at lunchtime well ahead of dark is because it must scare any bream witless!

Isn't that how it was done before baitrunners? In my limited experience as a carp angler I remember seeing reels backwind like mad when a fish took the bait, I always thought that the problem with doing it that way was that if the fish stopped or swam back towards you the reel would keep going for a bit and tangle. Not a problem provided you're watching it but in those days casting and kipping seemed to be the way.

you should also release the bail arm if your gonna wander off , or lose your rod like ive done before