SAA, NFA, NAA and the rivers close season..?....

STEVE POPE

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen - go easy on the invective and personal slagging please.

Otherwise you may see a lock on this thread like we just saw on the companion piece.

And this time, I will be the one to lock it so no one can say there is any hidden agenda involved.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Gentlemen - go easy on the invective and personal slagging please.

Otherwise you may see a lock on this thread like we just saw on the companion piece.

And this time, I will be the one to lock it so no one can say there is any hidden agenda involved.

Newt point taken!

Apologies for the language but not the content!

I do however, find some of the sanctimonious, holier than thow clap-trap above totally infuriating.

[ 12 April 2002, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: phil hackett ]

phil h.

phil hackett:
Originally posted by Peter Waller:

Pete

If you going to quote history it help if you know all the stages you need to list!

First was the National Association of Specimen Groups NASG then NASA, SACG, SAA.... :D

Phil, please reread my history lesson. I said ' so along came what eventually became known as NASA', is that not a statement of fact?

Lee has picked up on the point of the hypocrasy re 'unity', I'm glad someone did. The only time that there was unity in Angling was when we only had one representative body.

Phil, your personal stance on rivers is well known, and to be applauded. And I would like to think, in the instance of the Close Season, that us, the great unwashed plebian sector of our great sport, can count on the support of many within the SAA.

But that we mere mortals still feel a need to lobby the SAA re the Close Season speaks volumes though, don't you think? Perhaps we are just making sure.

As for the political power of the Barbel Society, The Grayling Society and The River System Support Group, perhaps they should all be seen as Independants in Angling's Parliament. Free to lobby the main groups, free to support the body that meets their needs. In being outside in this manner, I would suggest that they are extremely effective political weapons, with a great deal of political leverage, especially when they are all saying the same thing. I would like to think that this will be the case re the Close Season.

Phone, we will be going fishing, but our angling politics are important, afteral, they are in place to ensure that we are able to go fishing.

Personally I would rather just be fishing, but a body, the CA, and in the past, the old SACG, has foistered itself onto Angling, claiming to be a representaive body. As has happened in the past, re the SACG, it becomes necessary to watch, like hawks, that such bodies don't do things that might, or might not, have a detrimental on our angling. I'm afraid, the time has come for us quiet majority to have our say, or risk loosing what we believe in. However, I fully support the sentiments of both you & Newt, and thank you for them. Don't you have angling politics in America? Lucky folk if there is no need.

It might not be a popular truth amongst some of our political entourage but us quiet majority have been walked over once too often, we won't be walked over re the Close Season.

Steve Pope comes up with a non-story, actually a repeat of last years close season story from BAA and AT and you all jump in. Talk about playing fish.

SAA position on the river close season has not and is highly unlikely to change. The NFA support the closed season on rivers, the EA do likewise. Moran supported the retention of the closed season.

Get real. It won’t even make the agenda at NAA.

Put away your phobias about this organisation or that and start getting your tackle ready for June.

Roll on the 16th June when we can all go fishing again and these pathetic non stories will be replaced by stories of real fish and real fishermen.

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

Dear All,

Firstly, in my posts on this thread, I thought I made it perfectly plain from my comments that I didn't think that a serious threat to the rivers close season could come about from a conversation that Steve Pope had with the AT. Smoke without fire? Maybee, but until such a thing becomes OFFICIAL, I dont really think any of us need worry about it.

What I did make plain though, was what the RSSG response would be in regard to any threat to the rivers close season becoming a reality.

Phil,

Sorry you are miffed.

Have you forgot that you gave me some information on Endocrine Disrupters at a SACG meeting once? I have also read I think, two articles you wrote on this subject. I also have other papers on this subject written by other qualified authors to. So clearly, I have taken an interest in this subject that you have/are involved in.

Now with regards to the SAA and its rivers group, please be aware that I have asked many questions of officers in the SAA regarding this. I base my comments on answers on what I have been given. OK.

Furthermore, I have offered to help Duncan with the SAA rivers group and sent him two or three emails to this point. The last one I sent to Duncan was on the 18th of March this year when I asked him what he wanted to see the SAA rivers group achieve. I stated my reasons for asking so as to establish in what way I could help out or indeed, what help the RSSG might be able to offer. This is so that everyone can work together for the rivers environment surely in the spirit of what the SAA and RSSG promote.

To date, I have received no reply to my email sent on the 18th of March.

Rest assured though Phil, that the RSSG's Environment and Conservation Co-ordinator is fully aware of Endocrine Disrupters. And to make doubly sure, perhaps you can send me everything you have on this subject to balster up what we already have.

Even better if you join the RSSG. Then you can advise and consult for us on this very important issue.

And; The SAA will have the opportunity to do more for the rivers environment shortly when the RSSG offers them affiliate membership.

See? The RSSG are NOT anti- anyone. Everyone is welcome to join us.

UNITY UNITY UNITY.

Regards,

Lee.

Peter Sharpe:

I suspect the tackle trade and other commercial interests to be behind it, rather than any particular group of anglers.

Sorry to disillusion you, Peter, but your suspicion is incorrect.

I act as Technical Director to the Angling Trades Association (ATA), and this issue has not been raised at Board or General meetings since the change to the stillwater close season.

I also attend meetings of the National Angling Alliance (NAA) on behalf of the ATA, and have done so since its inception. This issue has not been discussed or even mentioned at NAA meetings. By the way, we do NOT vote at NAA meetings; we reach agreement.

As a fisheries management consultant (my main role in life), I get around about 80-100 fisheries each year in the UK, talking to lots of anglers, club officials, commercial owners (including some on rivers), and - I promise you -there is no groundswell of opinion for scrapping the current regulations on rivers.

Weekly angling newspapers have to prepare some copy to use as fillers between the adverts. If they don't have news stories... (you know the rest).

Fishing is a good cure for paranoia, I hear! :P

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'