Shattered Pole with a fish on ?

badgerman

Went fishing at a local lake yesterday... a mate came along with his dad.

We were quite happily tiddler bashing, I got a few 1lb bream going up to about 2lb, my mate had an 8lb carp on the pole...

My mate's dad was also pole fishing and hooked into a MONSTER for the lake we were in, it was a carp and when it surfaced the back was almost as broad as one of my german shepherd dogs! A good 20 at least

His pole was called a "carp master" i think, and after a minute or so it shattered in three sections and the fish was lost... Now this man is an experienced angler and he wasn't bullying the fish or anything. Is this an experience anyone else has shared or is his "carp master" pole a bit of a con (or a friday special)?!?!

That could be because any ideas would be pure guesses but more likely a matter of the forum being fairly slow on weekends and especially weekends when the weather is fit to fish.

Carbon is a great material for fishing rods & poles but unlike fiberglass, it has a very low tolerance for being hit. A tap can create a weak spot that you can't see but can cause the section to shatter under stress. That sounds like what may have happened to that pole.

Another possibility is a slight flaw from when it was made that did fine until it was put under a heavier than usual load which caused it to fail.

More detail in the original post might have helped. Do you know what elastic he was using?

I have about exhausted the sum total of my knowledge of UK style poles with the elastic question but this reply will move your topic back to the top and may encourage some of our pole experts to offer suggestions. I also tweaked the title a bit to better describe what you want to know.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I would have imagined the hooklink should break before the pole, I have also heard that if you knock a section it can cause a weakness in the construction.

Sorry to hear about that perhaps it was a cat not a carp, do you think the pole was an E Bay special

wow that is brilliant!

51 views and not a single reply, what an extremely polite bunch of people!

One of the items on my desk at work says "Sarcasm... another service we offer here" :D

I read your post and thought my initial response might be over the top. Maybe not. It had to do with previous posters commenting on anything with the word carp in a product has to be crap. Purely meant to be tongue in cheek.. I thought I was being polite by not replying! :D

Carbon isn't cheap.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I didn't reply because I've never used a pole, nor even looked longingly at poles in shops, so I know nothing about them at all really, except that a pole called a carp master is almost certainly not aimed at fishing for 20s.

One thing I know about rods in general (and that has to include poles) is that they do not take kindly to knocks, bang it against a tree branch or something similar and it probably still looks fine, until you give it some welly a few weeks or months further on down the line; that's when it falls apart, by this time you've forgotten about the tree but the rod hasn't.

oi thats not fair, my leeda coarse rod "leeda concept match carp" took enourmouse strain from a pike when it snatched my little roach a good 14-17lb i estimate, that didnt fail :P

but yeah i agree partly things with weird names are generaly poop, like Assasin 2 extreme suicidal

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

wow that is brilliant!

51 views and not a single reply, what an extremely polite bunch of people!

I often read threads, realise that my input would be of no worth, and then move on. Besides, most of those 51 views will have been non-registered guests of the forum.

I fail to understand how a pole can shatter whilst playing a fish. Dropping it, yes. Riding a bike over it, most definitel. However, unless it was set up with 20lb mono and no elastic, something else would have to give first. I'd definitely be taking it back to where I bought it, if it were me.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE