Fish Deaths In The Freeze

Elton

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooh mee-oww scratch scratch!!

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I always find it strange that we have lost our tradition of eating coarse fish. It's a great shame, especially seeing as coarse fish are much more efficient to farm than game. It's very surprising indeed.

Gosh, I'm surprised that you haven't been hung drawn and quartered making statements like that young man B). Oops I forgot, you're not on the G(ung H)o Fishing website now B)

But seriously, so am I. If you like fish and have ignored coarse fish then why? Most are perfectly edible and some are the ultimate in fishy flavours. Just a shame that unles you fancy a small jack (bloody delicious mind when prepared properly) we now have the opportunity to rank amongst terrorists and rapists if we fancy a nice fillet of perch fried in butter or baked with a little smoked bacon and black pepper!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Bleak are not illegal, they're under the minimum size and highly abundant, a tasty breakfast...it makes sense to dine at a lower trophic level...*cough* i mean *cought* a tasty deadbait...

Titter!.....Gudgeon tastes nice as well but a bit soft for my liking.........A really big fat carp is the best, keep it in the bath for a couple of days and flush it through, bloody delicious with horseradish sauce and game chips and the obligatory crusty bread...Only do it to fish over 30lb though, smaller ones I just chuck up the bank......

Oh sh1t, sorry, wrong forum :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Titter!.....Gudgeon tastes nice as well but a bit soft for my liking.........A really big fat carp is the best, keep it in the bath for a couple of days and flush it through, bloody delicious with horseradish sauce and game chips and the obligatory crusty bread...Only do it to fish over 30lb though, smaller ones I just chuck up the bank......

Oh sh1t, sorry, wrong forum :rolleyes:

Picked up a great recipe for carp soup in a newspaper recently. ;);)

Winter kill is nothing to do with over stocking or poor management. It happens somewhere every time there is a prolonged freeze up. During the 1962/63 winter a lot of fisheries were completely wiped out, a fishery I had was one of them. Those most susceptable are the shallow waters the bottoms of which have a layer of dead leaves and other vegetation on them. Oxygen levels fall and the content of poisonous gases rises even though the decomposition of the detritous is retarded. Breaking ice can't hurt, but it is unlikely to do any good at all. I have no idea if an air pump pumping air into the water will help or not - it is not something that was tried, as far as I am aware, in 62/63. The sight and smell of a major winter kill after the thaw is distressing especially when you realise that unless the water is re-stocked, it will be many years before it is worth fishing again.

Such tragedies do turn up some surprioses though. A Luton angler was claiming to catch numerous double figure carp from one small lake, and although Fred Taylor and Dick Walker had fished it on a number of occasions they had never seen any carp even approaching double figures. The winter kill wiped out all of the fish in the pond and not one double figure carp was seen when Fred went along to see it.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.