Best all round carp line

kirki007

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using Ultima Power-Plus for the last couple of seasons. I tend to use 10lb as a minimum although I do have 12lb and 15lb on stand-by.

Have used Maxima Chameleon 6lb in the past, for light feeders and ledgering.

Going down to float rod on 4lb or less Maxima Chameleon. Have landed an 8lb carp on 4lb line and a size 16 hook, interesting but unintentional, was seriously worried the rod would give way!

• 2 weeks later...

I could never (and still dont) understand all the raving over Big Game.I thought it an awfull line. Much was made about its abbrassion resistance and higher than stated breaking strain...........but if you bothered to look at its diameter compared with other brands it was simply just underrated ie the reason 15lb Big Game had the strength and abrassion resistance of (eg) 18lb in any other brand was that iot was 18lb but just labelled 15!

You could tell who was on Big Game as you could see it so clearly.

i've been looking at the daiwa sensor line but i would appreciate it if anybody could advise me the best option to go for with this line

cheers

I take it you mean what breaking strain to use?

If so this depends on the situation you want to use it in.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I take it you mean what breaking strain to use?

If so this depends on the situation you want to use it in.

yeah sorry i forgot to mention that. im carp fishing mostly carp around 10-20lb mostly to the lower end of that. what breaking strain should i choose and what colour is the best to avoid spooks.

cheers

The size of the carp you are expecting to catch is secondary really to the situation you are going to be fishing for them in. Is the water snaggy or clear? will you be fishing next to snags or in weed? long range or close range? What methods will you be using?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The size of the carp you are expecting to catch is secondary really to the situation you are going to be fishing for them in. Is the water snaggy or clear? will you be fishing next to snags or in weed? long range or close range? What methods will you be using?

the local lakes tend to be snaggy with weed but with several small sand banks as they are mostly gravel pits but close by is normally free of snags. i tend to fish the bottom of the lake at a long range, say 70 ft