Best all round carp line

kirki007

Shimano Catana for me, I've tried many others but I keep going back to it!

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/line_tests.htm

Thanks for that link Rob. What a mess! So my 12lb Sensor is actually 16.5lb and someone elses 12lb X-line will break at 9.4lb <_<

I wish I could buy line that was the BS it said on the spool. It looks from that that I may as well use 10lb Sensor as a maximum, as according to that chart it's actually almost 16lb. Anything more is just making casting more difficult.

If I want 10lb line, I want 10lb line, not 16lb. It's annoying!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that link Rob. What a mess! So my 12lb Sensor is actually 16.5lb and someone elses 12lb X-line will break at 9.4lb <_<

I wish I could buy line that was the BS it said on the spool. It looks from that that I may as well use 10lb Sensor as a maximum, as according to that chart it's actually almost 16lb. Anything more is just making casting more difficult.

If I want 10lb line, I want 10lb line, not 16lb. It's annoying!

There's a flip side to that though - my 10lb Catana breaks at 16lb and at 0.30mm diameter you get the benefit when casting, it's bloody marvellous!

I've got 10lb Catana on my 5010 GT's and 15lb on my Emblems and between the two it covers most situations.

Being back on the scene after a loooooong lay off Im gathering kit etc. I would like to ask fellow members opinion on what line I should get for my reels. Im thinking 12lb/15lb but which one ?? Im not a proper gear tart so nothing flash, just a good all round line at a reasonable (ebay type!!) price. Im not after braid. I`ll be fishing for carp up to 30lb, hooklinks will be snake skin

Any ideas??

12 or 15lbs X-line without a doubt. It'd quite simply the BEST. Shop around and you can get 600m for £19.99. It'd flurocarbon and almost invisible underwater and sinks like a car battery!!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

12 or 15lbs X-line without a doubt. It'd quite simply the BEST. Shop around and you can get 600m for £19.99. It'd flurocarbon and almost invisible underwater and sinks like a car battery!!!!

Wouldn't touch it with a sh1tty stick, under rating line is par for the course but over rating it is unforgiveable.

Wouldn't touch it with a sh1tty stick, under rating line is par for the course but over rating it is unforgiveable.

One point to consider is that monofile actually absorbs water and becomes weaker with immersion. Fluorocarbon does not absorb water so the breaking strain remains unaffected. I have never used x line as a main line (stick with my Big Game) but I have used it extensively for hooklinks for several years now and can honestly say that it has never let me down.