NIGHT FISHING

Janet

Think most of it's been said apart from do away with the clumpy battery operated float and if you haven't already got them get some drennan insert crystals the mini starlights, I think fit into the float in place of the tip and will last long enough for a summer night session. you can start off fishing in daylight with the normal float and then when it gets dark, whip out the tip and replace it with a starlight.

Just get organised and as Chris said just take your time and you will be fine.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Chappers.

I did think the battery operated float was a bit clunky. Jeez. The float is almost as long as the depth I intend to fish at! I have the insert mini starlight things. Just very unsure about which to use! I guess it's all about trying it out on the night, and learning.

It's my first time, so hopefully I won't get it all totally wrong. If I do, I'm sure you'll hear about it! Still, although we whinge about being in competition, it's really not like that. We'll both be happy to land something.

I just hope that whatever I land is bigger than his!

Janet

I'd also suggest you get set up well before dark to avoid disturbance. It's best to have everything you might need close to hand, and also to note exactly where it is before it gets dark.

I will finish work at 5.00pm, so hope to be on the lake by 6.00. Bag is almost packed, so I think I'll have plenty of time to get set up and confident that I know where everything is. On Saturday it didn't get dark until nearly ten, so I think I'll have plenty of time to get set up ready for the night. I'm very organised, so hopefully I will have everything sorted long before night fall.

It really is a bit of an adventure for me, fishing this late. I do hope that the weather's good, as I'll be very disappointed if we have to cancel. It's not something I can do on my own, so I'm really relying on Paul's goodwill and some decent weather!

Janet

I was going to suggest the Drennan Insert Waggler floats and starlights but Chappers beat me to it :D

One thing though, as you are watching the light on top of the float, it will appear to move. You can combat this by taping a small diameter piece of rubber tubing to the tip of your rod, and a second near the top ferrule. With a starlight in each of the rubber tubes you will be able to line-up the rod onto your float and counteract any visual illusion that makes you think the float is moving.

I always take two torches with me when night fishing, it's very difficult to change batteries in the pitch black.

A gas stove, gas cylinders, fresh water, food, tea bags & etc. Much better in the morning than a soggy sarnie or a pot-noodle.

Watch out for the rats, they'll have your bait given half the chance....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Guest tigger

I was out the other night Tenching when at about 1:30am I heard something in the trees behind me. I stopped and listened and again I heard a noise that sounded like massive wings swooping overhead. At this point I rememberd the horror film "Jeepers Creepers" and decided I'd better pack up and get the hell out of there as quickly as possible!!!!!!! :unsure::o

Tigger, I was trying to keep the subject away from demons in the night, ghosts, flesh-eating zombies, bats and stray Jehovahs Witnesses - the poor lass has enough on her plate as it is with rats, mice, adders, flesh-eating otters, giant spiders and stray Evangelists :rolleyes:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I'm about to go for my first overnight fishing session at my local lake.

Any helpful hints from you guys?

I think I'm reasonable well prepared with the essentials - flasks, head torch, warm and waterproof clothes (several layers) and umbrella etc. We're not going to go if it's lashing it down, as the lake is difficult to fish in wind and rain. Much as I love my fishing, I certainly don't want to spend all night freezing and wet. It's supposed to be fun, not torture!

What sort of tactics would you recommend? I usually float fish this lake, just in the margins, using either bread, worm or maggots, and I usually do reasonably well. Should I be using different tactics or bait for night fishing? I have managed to borrow a battery operated night float, and I have some little light sticks that I can use in some of my existing floats.

All suggestions will be gratefully received. My honour is at stake!!

Cheers guys,

Janet

has your head torch got a red filter? if no try to get a hold of one red light will not affect your night vision

David :D :D :D

Top tip from me - take a hot water bottle!

I realise this means I'm out of the running for the uber-man award, but whenever I go nightfishing I take one (plus a stove and water, of course) and a couple of times, especially when zander fishing in the winter, it's been a lifesaver.

Being cold is rubbish :) Especially cold feet.

All the other advice is sound, lay everything out so you know where it is, take hot drinks, stay dry and warm, and don't use a torch unless you need to. Night fishing is really exciting!

I wouldn't feed much to be honest, after dark a lot of fish will patrol the margins looking for leftovers from day anglers, so I'd get a light carpet of feed down well before dark and top it up with a few freebies after each fish.

EDIT: oh yes, if you hear horrendous screaming from the woods, don't worry - it's just a fox.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
oh yes, if you hear horrendous screaming from the woods, don't worry - it's just a fox.

Mmm....or someone being Savagly, Brutally murderd......... :o