Swingtip Revival

Elton

Thanks for butt indicator measurements. I think I'll see if I can find some suitable materials.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I also used to enjoy fishing with a swingtip. It's been a long time since I have though.

The rod I used was 'my fishing rod'. It was a match rod with a threaded top eye that I had added. So, it was a waggler rod, a trotting rod, a quivertip rod, a swingtip rod, and if a carp took the bait, a carp rod :)

Me too!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Oh dear! Oh dear! Built cane to the left, centrepins to the right and now swingtips in the middle...hehehe

Wata Toad of old tackle is this? Where are we the latest retro site on the net...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Oh dear! Oh dear! Built cane to the left, centrepins to the right and now swingtips in the middle...hehehe

Wata Toad of old tackle is this? Where are we the latest retro site on the net...hehehe

I sincerely hope so!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The more 'instants' we baffle on the banks, the better IMO.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I must admit I am very curious to hear how John Weddup has got on with his swingtiping over the weekend, well I hope.

I must admit I am very curious to hear how John Weddup has got on with his swingtiping over the weekend, well I hope.

The rod and the swingtip behaved really well.

They sat there motionless for 5 hours as did my bite alarms all with very small hooks and bait.

With approx 15 acres out of 20 frozen and the ice only about 20 metres from me I was not surprised. Although a prolific fishery it has not been stocked since it was built approx 25 years ago. So its not got commercial levels of fish.

However at about 1.30 I decided to abandon ship and head for the river for the last hour or so of daylight and had 4 small chub up to 3lbs on my light bomb rig.

John

Edited by John Weddup

The rod and the swingtip behaved really well.

They sat there motionless for 5 hours as did my bite alarms all with very small hooks and bait.

With approx 15 acres out of 20 frozen and the ice only about 20 metres from me I was not surprised. Although a prolific fishery it has not been stocked since it was built approx 25 years ago. So its not got commercial levels of fish.

However at about 1.30 I decided to abandon ship and head for the river for the last hour or so of daylight and had 4 small chub up to 3lbs on my light bomb rig.

John

Not too good on the old lake then John glad the river was not frozen over, I think you did well.

Have a good day fishing John. Back in the 1970's lots of anglers used target boards, many were clear perspex and some had a slot for the rod tip to rest in, for swing tips that is. Much will depend as much on your eyes as on the venue.

Target boards were still in use when I quit match angling in the late 80's, even though by then the swingtip had largely been superseded by fine quivertips - you don't need to shelter a quivertip from the wind so much, but having something to judge movement by is just as important, I'd say. If they've stopped using them since then, they're daft!

but bought a bargain Wilson Avon off ebay last week and I note the end ring has a screw, for the quiver or s/tip, so you still can by the things.

And a light comes on - I've got one of those things, I bet it would make a half decent swingtip rod too... Might have to dig it out this summer!