Swingtip Revival

Elton

Yes, I also used to enjoy fishing with a swingtip. It's been a long time since I have though.

The rod I used was 'my fishing rod'. It was a match rod with a threaded top eye that I had added. So, it was a waggler rod, a trotting rod, a quivertip rod, a swingtip rod, and if a carp took the bait, a carp rod :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't actually mean you used to do perfectly well using the one rod do you??

;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

You don't actually mean you used to do perfectly well using the one rod do you??

;)

I didn't even have a bite alarm, it's a wonder I ever caught anything!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Unfortunately, I disposed of my proper tip rods a long time ago which were a pair of Bruce and Walker CTM9s. As I tend to mainly fish for larger specimens the rods that I now have with threaded tip rings tend to be a bit too heavy for general fishing although the Daiwas are very forgiving and cope with my own requirements. I also used to have a pair of Ernie Stamford quivers which I have always regretted parting with as they had the most sensitive tips and were lovely to use for silvers and bream within thrrir casting range. As to modern rods, I do not know but I would have thought that dependant on what you want to fish for, it would not be too difficult to modify something. I am sure that Budgie would have some good suggestions on this.

Unfortunately, I disposed of my proper tip rods a long time ago which were a pair of Bruce and Walker CTM9s. As I tend to mainly fish for larger specimens the rods that I now have with threaded tip rings tend to be a bit too heavy for general fishing although the Daiwas are very forgiving and cope with my own requirements. I also used to have a pair of Ernie Stamford quivers which I have always regretted parting with as they had the most sensitive tips and were lovely to use for silvers and bream within thrrir casting range. As to modern rods, I do not know but I would have thought that dependant on what you want to fish for, it would not be too difficult to modify something. I am sure that Budgie would have some good suggestions on this.

Whoah - you got rid of some rods? Did I read that right?!

Swing tip rods were traditionally 9' long with a rather through action......................and that's about it! I had one ( I think it was either custom built by Mal Storey or Ernie Stamford that had two top sections. One had a built in quiver and the other had no end eye you just plugged your swing tip on with a length of rubber tube. Most though were simple "screw in end eye" rods though.My favourite is a 10'carbon Legerlite from ABU.Other than second hand you may struggle to get a "swing Tip rod" these days.

Paul the CTM 9 was a cracking rod I had one before switching to carbon.

When I built/repaired rods regularly I was often asked to make up plug in sections for multi tip quiver/feeder rods so a swing tip could be used.Not hard just used to chop down a cheap or broken plug in tip and either glue a screw in eye on or use the length of rubber method.Only problem with this is that most (well the more expensive ones) had faster taper actions than the traditional "through action".But they still caught fish.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I just remembered, I used to use what was probably the precursor to the sidewinder and wasn't a million miles from a swingtip either. It was a length of dowel with an eye at one end and a terry clip at the other. It was clipped to the rod about 2/3rds of the way up . Same idea as the sidewinder but hung vertically like a swingtip. I saw a picture of one in an old fishing book when I was knee high to a grasshopper an fashioned one myself. Whipped it and varnished it too. I used to use that for fishing 2 or 3 hook paternosters with a blockend feeder for reservoir brownies and perch.

That was a good 20 odd years ago. The idea came from a book that was probably 20 years old then!

Might make another one actually.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I just remembered, I used to use what was probably the precursor to the sidewinder and wasn't a million miles from a swingtip either. It was a length of dowel with an eye at one end and a terry clip at the other. It was clipped to the rod about 2/3rds of the way up .

I remember these being sold in tackle shops. May even have had one (though I think perhaps it was a mate's, not mine).

Whoah - you got rid of some rods? Did I read that right?!

The problem is that whilst I have got rid of many rods they seem to have been replaced with more of others and I am now developing an unhealthy interest in the Normark float rods:D You never know, I might have a relapse and have a good clear out as I am running short of space. Anyway I reckon Tigger is worse than me.

Next year, I really want to try to make it a year of getting out and doing stuff (2010 has been a 'mare). I really think an Anglers' Net Swingtip Fish-In should be on the agenda!

And I know just the venue, a nice little day ticket stillwater near me called Laura's Lagoon. Contains roach, rudd, small carp, tench, perch and bream all of a size which would suit a fun day out, your tips won't stop swinging. I was thinking of it as a venue if Anderoo's home made tackle day took off.

I used a swing tip all of the time during the seventies. The Daiwa rod I refurbished ealier in the year was sold as a ledger rod but didn't come with a threaded tip ring. First chance I got (when I broke the tip) I replaced it. Happy days.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back