Swingtip Revival

Elton

Welcome to AN Tony :)

Thinking about it, I do still regularly use a swingtip for bream, but these days I clip it to the front rod rest rather than the end of the rod B)

yes that gives the exact same indication to the bite and you can cast overhead without the tangles ,nice

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too right I do!

For smaller "match sized" bream in stillwater the swing tip beats the quiver tip hands down.

And me.

I agree.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Or there is new, which is the rod Santa bought for Dale last year

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHAKESPEARE-OMNI-9-5...=item3cb141380b

I bought the Omni X feeder rod last year. I think it's a really nice rod for the money. Nice weight, nice feel, nice fittings, well finished and cheap to boot. Shakespeare make some pretty good bargain rods. I got the Mentor Twin-Top too and I absolutely love it for all the same reasons.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Not many rods have the screw tip these days, but I think they are brilliant especially where you can't get your quiver tip at the right angle which these days with concrete swims is quite frequently these days. Just harder to cast than a QT.

M

Hi and welcome Upstream gardener

You can always fit one or get a top ring with a screw in feature fitted.

For the rest:

Photos taken the wife will upload them later today, I have got her to take some photos of regular type swingtips just for the nostalgia...hehehe

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Jeeze, this thread has brought back a few memories from the cobweb corners of my mind. A rave from the grave for the more mature members, any one remember the Jack Clayton swingtip rod, matched with an Ambidex fixed spool. That’s how I spent the early 60’s breaming the local lakes. Superbly sensitive but with the draw backs of poor distance casting and numerous crack offs, casting was a real art. We then progressed to the “But” indicators which gave better casting but I seem to recall not as sensitive. The other downside was after a few strikes the varnish started chipping off the rod as the clasp belted the rod each time. We taped sponge buffer pads to the rod as a protector. Nice reminiscing on a winters night, thanks for that…….

Butt indicator?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I see the Polaris Sidewinder Mk III now comes with a 'premaclip' in 3 different sizes, so you can attach your indicator to the butt section.

I also see someone was selling a butt indicator on Fleabay. Says it was 10" long. Is that a standard length....does the length even matter?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...