Some nostalgia for you

Rusty

Much more likely to be down to cormorant predation, although otters are the fashionable scapegoat at the moment.

Bob's roach is just stunning. A 3lb river roach must be the rarest of the rare these days.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi funny the comparisons stoped after bobs roach lol

Much more likely to be down to cormorant predation, although otters are the fashionable scapegoat at the moment.

Bob's roach is just stunning. A 3lb river roach must be the rarest of the rare these days.

Very true closely followed by a 30lb river Pike methinks ,Rusty great thread chap but i wouldn't have been able to walk past that weed rack myself without twitching back a Sardine just to see if History could repeat itself in the form of offspring of those 2 great Pike .

Regarding the whole Otter thing i used to think o god there gonna eat everything like the Cormorants but every summer i see vast shoals of silvers on the Thames despite the numbers of Cormorants and this year in particular was noted for the whole of the river being stuffed with them ...no idea where they go in the winter but next summer back they are .

Come to the conclusion that floods have more affect on numbers than preds but that is just a gut feeling nothing scientific ,Hope i am right anyways and sharing the sight of an Otter whilst fishing kinda makes my day .

Rusty will try to find you tomorrow depending on state of head ... other half`s Christmas works do deep joy black tie and a venue full of Accountants....Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Nostalgia just aint what it used to be......... ;)

Not many things Im jealous of but I would have gladdly swapped my family jewels (bag and all!) for Mr James's captures in that episode.The Pike were brilliant but that catch of roach.................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for pointing out the copyright issue Chesters, I hadn't even considered it and I should have been courteous enough to at least acknowledge the source of the stills :oops: . I’ve edited the original post. Would somebody please bake me a cake with a file in it.

I had mixed emotions when I first saw the swim, the river isn’t as wide now and the weedrack and hut are gradually falling apart so in that respect it was quite sad, however, the stretch above the rack still has plenty of depth, only downstream towards the railway bridge did it look a bit shallow. I was reliably informed by another angler that the roach have gone but from what I can gather nobody fishes for the pike. I reckon it still holds monsters feeding daily on a diet of trout, a concerted effort and it would be entirely possible to replicate Bob’s brace.

Glad you enjoyed the post.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Regarding the whole Otter thing i used to think o god there gonna eat everything like the Cormorants but every summer i see vast shoals of silvers on the Thames despite the numbers of Cormorants and this year in particular was noted for the whole of the river being stuffed with them ...no idea where they go in the winter but next summer back they are .

Great to hear of all the silvers, Steve. I assume these are mainly small? - though I know you caught some reasonable sized ones from your boat. I phoned a few tackle shops re the roach fishing on the Thames last year, and they were all pretty gloomy about it, though I must admit I didn't do the same this year.

Re otters, the fish I have heard about them taking have all been bigger - 15lb pike left on the bank half eaten, good chub and barbel. Though maybe that doesn't reflect their normal diet?

john clarke

I too have found huge shoals of silvers on the Thames.

Sadly, from an angling point of view, they've all been bleak... :rolleyes:

Have yet to stumble upon any big roach.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Not a patch on it's former glory then I take it??

The roach aren't around in the same numbers but the odd goodun still turns up. However that strecth does now hold some very, very good chub as well as some nice bream. Below is a pic of a 2lb roach I caught 3 years ago not far downstream of the Weedrack.

Roach_2_01.jpg

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Nostalgia just aint what it used to be......... ;)

Not many things Im jealous of but I would have gladdly swapped my family jewels (bag and all!) for Mr James's captures in that episode.The Pike were brilliant but that catch of roach.................

In reality it was a case of being at the right place at the right time....could have been anyone really as his method was just bog standard.