Some nostalgia for you

Rusty

It's neither in fact. It's just that Alex is a brilliant angler. Indeed I'd class him as the best all-round angler I've ever met, and I've met and fished with a few of the stars. He was top rod on the Carp Lake at Wingham when he fished it, and has taken apart waters all over the country. His list of specimens of so many species is simply awesome, but he keeps himself very much to himself and doesn't report his catches. Despite this he's always free with his advice to other syndicate members. I've known Alex for almost 25 years and the only species I can beat him at is perch. If I ever need any advice he's the first person I turn to.

Ive only known Alex a few years but totally agree with Steve the guy is one switched on angler. I to have fished with and am lucky enough to class as friends some top "names" as well but he is certainly up with and beyond a lot! Classic "unknown superstar" .

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how often does he actually fish wingham Steve, and over how many years.

He's been a member of the Coarse Lake for about 5 years but fishes it quite a bit less than many, partly because he lives a long way away, and partly because he fishes for a lot of other species as well.

Oh, and by the way, not only has Alex caught the most bream and the most per rod hour, he's also caught the biggest at 18-06.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'd say it's pretty obvious the person who's had 13 bream from wingham knows the water better than most and has time on their hands.

Your session chubbing on the Thames just proves that there's an awfull lot of luck involved in fishing. I'm curious how you think the bloke fished better than you ?

No, not true on either count. He works full time and has all the usual demands on his time. Several other people have been fishing the lake as long as him. Put simply, he's just better at it.

The guy at the Thames wasn't lucky either. Even though we were doing very similar things, he did a couple of things slightly differently. Less bait (small feeders of liquidised bread instead of my balls of mashed bread) and I think he was casting around the swims more than me. Small differences, but in fact the difference between 0 chub and 5 chub.

You could give me all the time in the world and I would still not be able to match the weekend results of someone like Alex! Sorry Tigger, we'll have to disagree on this one, anyone can be lucky once or twice, but it's obvious to me that some people are just better at it than others. In fact, they could explain it all to me and even show me exactly what they do, and I still wouldn't be able to do it the same.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No, not true on either count. He works full time and has all the usual demands on his time. Several other people have been fishing the lake as long as him. Put simply, he's just better at it.

Ok, so he works full time and has all the usual demands of his time BUT FOR HOW LONG AND HOW OFTEN HAS HE FISHED WINGHAM ?

but it's obvious to me that some people are just better at it than others. In fact, they could explain it all to me and even show me exactly what they do, and I still wouldn't be able to do it the same.

Yes I agree other than the fact they "fuss about" a bit more I cant ever see what some of my mates are doing different to me!..........other than catching more! They don't keep back any secrets and I some times think if the truth be known that they don't know why either! Some just seem to do everything than unperceivable "bit better" that catches them a lot more.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

anyone can be lucky once or twice, but it's obvious to me that some people are just better at it than others.

That sums it up nicely for me. And that's the beauty of angling. Even a novice can catch a record fish. But for consistency a top angler will do far better over the long term. In this respect angling is like golf. A beginner could hit a hole in one, but isn't going to win the Open.

We're lucky that we have some very good anglers on this Forum, including Tigger. The same goes for the Wingham membership. But Alex is just that little bit better.

And as in many sports, it's that little bit that makes such a big difference.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

It's funny how many matches are won by the angler in certain well known pegs and not by the so called stars....luck of the drawer.

Of course, a decent angler on a good peg can beat the superstars. But over the course of time luck averages out and the superstars come out on top. Just as in my hole in one analogy.

It’s great that Alex is such a good angler, as soon as it’s an Olympic sport we’ll give him a call to boost our gold medal tally (unless Perch are in the Olympic pool of course). I’ve never met him so have no idea what he’s like, his angling ability alone is irrelevant to me as it is with any of the ‘stars’.

Oh and for the record, I’m with Tigger, for the vast majority of us luck plays a much bigger part than we would want to admit.

Could we start the luck/skill debate on another thread please, this started as a gentle reminisce.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Of course, a decent angler on a good peg can beat the superstars. But over the course of time luck averages out and the superstars come out on top. Just as in my hole in one analogy.

I know you can help to improve your luck by your methods etc but at the end of the day you can't catch what's not there or what's not feeding....simples.

A lot of these so called "super anglers" are there through nothing but hype.